Cracked 55 block

CL2000

Well I thought I belw my head gasket but after looking closer I found that my block cracked. Its in the same spot 53s crack. Im just curios to know if anyone else has heard or seen the 55s cracking?

seen several diff ones crack. saw a bone stk truck break a crank once but it does have 560,000 miles on it. according to cummins a 53 pattern block was cast in mexico, and is only 5mm thick where they crack.
i think the 54 or storm as cummins calls it was made to 11 mm thick only in the spot where they were prone to cracking bet 4 and 5 cyl i believe.
jst my 2 cents

Well it sounds like the 200 range is where its gonna crack........Im at 190k

I've seen a lot of rigs over 300K without cracking. I think it has a lot to do with how they were driven.$.02

Rob_Bones said:
I've seen a lot of rigs over 300K without cracking. I think it has a lot to do with how they were driven.$.02

Do you even know about the "53" block?? Maybe do a little research before you post some dribble like this. News Flash: It has nothing to do with the way they are driven Example: Friend of the family, 80 yrs old, no performance upgrades, 53 block cracked at 120K. Example 2: Tim Albiston's race truck, 175K miles, everything under the sun, 53 block is still kicking, original HG too.

-Tom

it all has to do with good luck bad luck sortof thing. we just had a truck in the shop 500,000 miles just turned has a pattern 53 block.
also according to cummins it is not all 53 that are subject to cracking its a certain engine serial number xxxxxx to xxxxxx that are prone to cracking.
so not all of them will crack even if you do have one that falls in that serial number range.

ill see if i can get those numbers and post them if anyone is interested.
like i said even if you fall in that range it doesnt mean it will crack.
even if it does cummins should work with you to fix it, i forget totally what they cover but i know they swing a motor and you pay for labor, or atleast they do that here in fortwayne, indiana at cummins mid states

bonesmx2000 said:
ill see if i can get those numbers and post them if anyone is interested.
like i said even if you fall in that range it doesnt mean it will crack.
even if it does cummins should work with you to fix it, i forget totally what they cover but i know they swing a motor and you pay for labor, or atleast they do that here in fortwayne, indiana at cummins mid states

Rite on man that would be great if you could!