Cracked Turbine Housing

97Rebel

My old B-1b has seen better days, I counted 11 cracks in the Turbine Housing.

Do the SS housings develop cracks like the regular cast iron housings?

Thinking of going with an ED 62/68/13SS

the properties of stainless makes it alot less likely to crack over cast, i think the stainless alloy that is used is good up to around 2200 deg. F., not to mention the superior wastegate design. good pick on the ED 62/68/13ss. if you want to know what your going to get, here's the thread on my ED 62/68/13ss.ED 62/68/13ss writeup and pics!

Wes

Stainless, of a grade sufficient enough to polish, is MUCH more likely to crack, have seen many drivers\commuters hold up well, but big power, big temp applications are not an ideal set up for SS housings, just an opinion I developed working at a turbo shop

Stainless, of a grade sufficient enough to polish, is MUCH more likely to crack, have seen many drivers\commuters hold up well, but big power, big temp applications are not an ideal set up for SS housings, just an opinion I developed working at a turbo shop

With Stainless like 304 the cheep stuff most people use to make hedder pipes you would be right . But the HTT ss13 is made from a "mix " of stainless and is not 304 . The stainless alloy was made to work in very high heat 2200 degs . Have you seen a htt ss13 with a crack yet ? As for the opinion you developed there only a hand full of stainless turbin housings that have ever been made and all but the htt / Bulleseye turbin housings were made from 304 . You need to go back to school :poke:

With Stainless like 304 the cheep stuff most people use to make hedder pipes you would be right . But the HTT ss13 is made from a "mix " of stainless and is not 304 . The stainless alloy was made to work in very high heat 2200 degs . Have you seen a htt ss13 with a crack yet ? As for the opinion you developed there only a hand full of stainless turbin housings that have ever been made and all but the htt / Bulleseye turbin housings were made from 304 . You need to go back to school :poke:

Seems we have a difference of opinion. The $150 question is who is right?

Anyone else care to chime in?

Unless the housing is leaking exhaust gasses the cracks will not hurt it, my turbo has a few little cracks in the housing but they do not harm it. A lot of people on here will agree and all the turbo shops I have talked to agree.

Unless the housing is leaking exhaust gasses the cracks will not hurt it, my turbo has a few little cracks in the housing but they do not harm it. A lot of people on here will agree and all the turbo shops I have talked to agree.

Shhhh! I already told my wife I need to drop some coin for a new Turbo due to the cracks LOL

So is it worth it to spend the extra money for a SS housing or just go with a cast iron housing?

O.K. Your right, HTT / Bullseye make housings inpervious to cracking and I was just making it up as I go, :blahblah1: I still think that as a driver/commuter a person will see much fewer problems, big power/big temp applications are a diff story, if you need the shiney penis extention or the wow look what I have thing to sleep at night thats o.k., thats your opinion, :poke: I will not be spending extra $$ on stainless housings

im glad i got my stainless housing, how many have been reported back that are cracked due to too much heat?? the stainless housings have many advantages over the cast, heat retention is just one of them, what about thier superior wastge gate design, the housing volute design flows better, promotes better spoolup, the stainless ALLOY will take more heat than cast? when my turbo was built, i was given the oportunity to upgrade to SS for a awsome deal, one that i couldn't pass up. im glad i went with SS

Wes

O.K. Your right, HTT / Bullseye make housings inpervious to cracking and I was just making it up as I go, :blahblah1: I still think that as a driver/commuter a person will see much fewer problems, big power/big temp applications are a diff story, if you need the shiney penis extention or the wow look what I have thing to sleep at night thats o.k., thats your opinion, :poke: I will not be spending extra $$ on stainless housings

Bling would be the last reason to even consider an alloy exhaust part. The alloy material used was developed specifically to fight excessive cracking of exhaust manifolds for a very popular small tractor line. The thermal properties will offer better heat transfer to the actual turbine section and more effective cooling along the way.

Feel free to flame on me for the comment if you must, Its getting cold up here in Michigan and I enjoy the heat.

Chris

How many people running ___ type turbine housing have taken it off and checked it for cracks lately......

Crickets.....

I know I was surprised a few months back when I took my setup apart and found numerous cracks in my second stage turbine housing. It's not SS btw, it's just normal old hi ni steel. But the point is, the cracks aren't apparent unless the housing is removed and inspected...

Secondly.... aren't the SS housings still cast? I mean how do they make them? Don't they cast them? Seems like people are using the word cast like it's a cut when it would seem all the turbine housings in question are cast...

I think the idea behind the stainless housings is a good one, I just wont be running one thats all, I look at turbine housings like they are consumable items when run with alot of excess heat, not saying anybody is wrong, just that in my case, its not cost effective to put extra money out on something that I will be replacing.

Secondly.... aren't the SS housings still cast? I mean how do they make them? Don't they cast them? Seems like people are using the word cast like it's a cut when it would seem all the turbine housings in question are cast...

They are cast like the others just from a different material. The confusion might be because people lease off the "iron" when they refer to the Borg cast iron housings.

Chris

i think there are more cracked housings out there than ppl think.
I used to think i never had a problem with HTTs turbos till they where taken off and all of them had cracks,

also the once from II, which has seen way lower egts and les miles.

All where cracked on the inside, not possible to see with it on the truck. yet they work great.

They are cast like the others just from a different material. The confusion might be because people lease off the "iron" when they refer to the Borg cast iron housings.

Chris

What is "iron" then? Because my stock garrett housings are not "cast iron", they are carbon steel. I learned this when it came time to weld in the bung for the gate on the second stage turbine housing.

I've often wondered, and this thread seems as good a place as any to ask, but what is "cast iron"???

How is "iron" defined? Cause if you tried to weld on a turbine housing as if it were "cast iron" you would fail...

Back