Cummin Girdles

1000orbust

I found two threads regarding girdles for the cummins engine, but I'm still looking for a little more information. I bought ARP main studs, but now I'm thinking I should have bought a girdle. I want to turn up to 5k if needed and I'm looking for 1000-1200hp. Has anyone experienced failure with just main studs? I was told by one company that even sells them that there's typically more harm then benefit when messing with girdles. I was looking at the II kit because it seems to be the most straight forward. Opinions and insight are appreciated.

I don't run one on any of our engines. I'm a few hundred north of your goal. No failures and bearings always look great.

I have a question though that also relates to this. I have been told that the arp studs in the 6.7 stick out a little bit and require clearance,holes in the stock stiffner, should this cause any concern?

What harm is caused by a girdle? Can you say what company said that?

I had a Cummins block stiffener on my old engine. The new block has a girdle from Kennys. I have seen pulling tractor engines spread the block enough that the main caps don't fit tight in the block anymore.

There is no point in installing an aftermarket girdle unless you're going to line hone it with it installed and have a machinist make sure everything is sound.

I think by finding a reputable machine shop, the girdle would be good insurance.