cummins 8.3 p pump

NoRcAl-FaRmEr

well im a farmer from nor cal been runnin cummins 8.3L in all our bailer tugs. i was wondering if it would be possible to swap a p7100 pump out of an 8.3 into a 5.9 12 valve? i know the 8.3 delivers a little more fuel than the 5.9 pumps would this be possible for a direct bolt on or would i need to upgrade other things?? thanks in advance

the 8.3 uses a p-3000 pump, they inject at a lower pressure than a p-7100, among other differences

I know it will fit and will work, but actually, several of the models the 5.9 use are actually better from a performance aspect. I think some of the 8.3 pumps have 11mm barrels too vs. the 12mm barrels in the 5.9 applications.

It will work, you just need to plug front oil return and make new oil line.

I have 8.3 pump in my 98 12V :kick:, just use search I have post pictures before..

no kidding? how does it run?
Very well :evil,(my current pump is based on electronic 8.3 pump from marine application ),but my HX55 did not like it and exploded ...

I have also run fully stock 8.3 automotive Ppump in my truck, it was better than 160hp pump

ok im not gonna try and start an argument here but i have spent many years servicing and rebuilt the cummins 8.3 in my baler tug (peterbilt) twice and right on the pump it says "P7100" im not sayin these motors didnt come with a p3000 but mine doesn't! lol so i guess wut im wondering is... can the 8.3 pump be better and put out more power than the 5.9?? overall what would be better??

What are your goals? A 160 pump will do everything most people want.

I'm just saying that there may be an easier road to get you where you want than swaping pumps.

Many 8.3s have P7100s as well as A style, M style and P3000 pumps. As far as a the P3000 goes...I've tuned one on a 4BT, with large injectors and pop pressure set at 290 bar...hp was over 350 at the rear tires.

The best thing to do is have a pump shop run your pump number and tell you what it is, just because there is a "P" in the part number does not mean it's a p-pump.

I'm with Astross...make it work and have fun! ;)

Very well :evil,(my current pump is based on electronic 8.3 pump from marine application ),but my HX55 did not like it and exploded ...

I have also run fully stock 8.3 automotive Ppump in my truck, it was better than 160hp pump

wow, thats unbelievable, i guess i was wrong

ok im not gonna try and start an argument here but i have spent many years servicing and rebuilt the cummins 8.3 in my baler tug (peterbilt) twice and right on the pump it says "P7100" im not sayin these motors didnt come with a p3000 but mine doesn't! lol so i guess wut im wondering is... can the 8.3 pump be better and put out more power than the 5.9?? overall what would be better??

there's no argument to be had, my understanding was that they were all P-3000 series pumps, i had no idea they ever came with a 7100, carry on

well we have two 8.3 powered trucks on our ranch i just texted my boss to make sure im not talkin out my ass he sent me a picture of a p7100 pump so im guessin this myth is busted lol well heres another question how would you compare a 3000 to a 7100??

they look exactly the same from the ones i've seen, they dont have as high of an injection pressure, and the governors are set up slightly different from what i was told in school, but form and function are exactly the same

My own 8.3 recipe: '96 8.3L in T300 KW, Set injection timing to 16*, Slide fuel plate all the way forward, 8.3 Marine injector nozzles, HX52 Turbo, makes approx nice 450rwhp...heads will spin when a single axle dump truck with an empty weight of 13900lb blows by most diesel pickups. LOL

P.S. The stock clutch is no longer happy.