cummins in 86 chevy

smoker04

im thinking about putting a 12 valve cummins in my 86 chevy 3/4 ton mud truck is there a place that has conversion kits or what do yall recommend

Tennessee Diesel Conversions

Avalanche Engineering

Think there might be some others but that's the only two I can think of. I think you'll find the answers to a lot of questions and get a good feel for what all is involved in the conversion if you do some reading over on 4btswaps.

Good luck

ok thanx alot guys i was goin to build a 496 stroker but i think itll be funner to do this

parts for that version

I have been dealing with ryan at fordcummins.com his engine mount set is top notch and bolts directly to your stock chevy setup. I am working on my allison 1000 conversion parts as we speak and they are all factory and much more affordable then destrokeds setups.

Sean

Any one know if the TH400 in the GM's can handle the torque after the swap. I was wondering about this swap also. I heard something that the fan wouldnt fit and an Elec would have to be used is this correct?

Any one know if the TH400 in the GM's can handle the torque after the swap. I was wondering about this swap also. I heard something that the fan wouldnt fit and an Elec would have to be used is this correct?

iirc if you use the fan hub out of a 1st gen that its about an inch or so shorter and will work in the chevy's. you can do electric if you want but the engine can be moved back far enough to clear the radiator the shroud probably will have to be modified to clear the fan depending on the location the engine is set

and the TH400 used to come in the bread trucks behind the 4BT cummins engines and i am sure if they can build them to hold up to race cars and stuff i am sure they can be built to hold a 4BT or 6BT havent heard much about them being used most just use the dodge form of transmissions. i used the NV4500 since it came in my truck to begin with just changed the bellhousing and input shaft and kept my tail shaft and housing to bolt to my transfercase

Talk to stock600 on here, hes has gone through a lot of 400s trying to find one that would hold up to the abuse.

A stock 4bt isnt much compared to 6bt with just basic mods. I would try to use a 47rh out of a dodge so you'll always have options.

Subscribed. Next winters project. ;)

Attachments

• Still works sometimes.jpg
    Still works sometimes.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 32

All depends on how the engine is mounted ,With my mounts you can you the stock clutch fan, if you have the 4 core rad you can drop down to a 2 core and you'll have better engine temps.

All depends on how the engine is mounted ,With my mounts you can you the stock clutch fan, if you have the 4 core rad you can drop down to a 2 core and you'll have better engine temps.

Do you sell a CTD conversion crossmember? :what:
PM me a price 79 Chevy K20.
Thanks

Don't be afraid of searching the interweb hoss. ;) He has a website and everything. LOL

Seriously, though, he does have a website and does sell kits.

Don't be afraid of searching the interweb hoss. ;) He has a website and everything. LOL

Seriously, though, he does have a website and does sell kits.

show me where conversion parts or prices are listed Mitch? :what:

I'm not a newb I've been to his site. :roll:

show me where conversion parts or prices are listed Mitch? :what:

I'm not a newb I've been to his site. :roll:

The prices are listed here in the Vendors section.

My web site needs updated with prices and the rest of my products.