Cummins in a 71 Ford

dsl kicks gas

Runnin on Broke
ok to start off i have brand new 92 cummins im wanting to put in a 71 3/4ton ford 2wd.

the engine:
was built from all new parts, is an ag block and has/will have(already have all the parts)-913 p pump(4k gsk, full cuts,exct), .093lines, 435 injectors, hic/ht3b twins should be in the 550hp range

the truck: 71 ford, has 460 big block ford and 4speed, and has the big full floating rear end with 4.11's was painted and about 95% of the way restored in the late 80's it has sit in the guys garage every since

The hard part:

Transmission- what transmission should i use? i was thinking about an allison out of a mid range truck. But would it hold up to to the high hp and rpm's? if not what about a eaton 6 or 7speed( not sure of model number) out of a mid range truck, but then a clutch is a problem

Innercooler-would there be room for a innercooler? possibly a powerstroke cooler?

Clearance- will the oil pan clear the crossmember? would a industrial oil pan or a pan off a dodge be better?

any and all input is appriciated!!!!

i will get pictures posted up as soon as i can.

should be a cool project, ive done a couple old fords. i put an 06 dodge i/c in mine . a powerstoke works a little easier. tight fit either way but worth it. i had the parts to put a clutch in my cab and used dodge hydrolic master and slave. i would stay away from medium duty truck transmissions. i put oil and water temp sending units from ford gasser on to cummins motor so my dash guages worked. i adapted ford alternator to cummins, made wiring easy. i run 3:54 gears in dana 60,s now put have bigger rear to swap in. a cummins makes an old ford a great truck. we just took a trip to montana and drove 1000 miles. got 20.5 mpg and passed alot of newer trucks up the hills. good luck, post pics please.