cummins injector nozzles

rollincole3209

can anyone give me a run down on injector nozzle. You always hear about aftermarket injector nozzles that have EDM work or have been extrude honed and They usually:nail: have a generic over stock horsepower rating, now that i have gotten in to the (real world ) you don't have generic horsepower ratings you have sizes such as 5x.18 for example I understand that 5x.18 is a 5 hole injector and .18 is the size of the hole but how do those compare to the horse power rating scale I'm just looking for a ball park here I'm new,green , wet behind the ears whatever you would like to refer to it as and it maybe a stupid question but hey i was always taught "the only stupid question is the question that wasn't asked" http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/nail.gif

HP rating is pretty much useless when there are so many variables that can change the HP. So its really best to go with flow rate or holes.

I see I was only curious for the reasoning of when I call and order my next set of injectors and didn't want to buy somthing I couldn't fuel

It would actually be a 5x.018, as in the hole diameter being 18 thousandths. They are always in the thousandths range. A lot of them actually come from John Deere or Case IH applications.

As far as what injector will fit your setup, research and ask. Injectors will affect just about every operation of your truck so read up before buying.