cummins into 99 tahoe!

mudBug32

hello everyone just picked up a 99 tahoe 4wd 4dr. the other day off c-list, good score i think. was gonna be f250 crew cab s/b 4x4 but doodle berry backed out. well anyways on wit show couldn't find big truck in price range so went for next best. still want solid axle up front and cummins in the bay. so now i found an early 12v from dually dirt cheap don't know if i should get it? my plans are solid axle swap and a 500-600 hp cummins! might be crazy who cares. i would like to know if possible to do with early 12v and still knock down 20mpg or more? not trying to go cheap but if given to get stuff on for cheap than so be it. please need info will post pics soon. by the way its non i/c but only asking 188 dollars for whole engine oh 50 for turbo:badidea: or not let me know

found that out about ve pump plan to go p-pump don't mind spending money on stuff like that, offsetting price of engine because its so cheap the engine is

Last edited:
What year is the engine or more importantly is it intercooled ?

that was gonna be 1 question i was gonna ask also, and i don't believe it is. will that be a problem? i am on here to get some help need all input i can get!

u can make it intercooled sounds like its a 89 - 91.5 module. i believe after that they started to inter cool them. What do u wanna run tranny wise. fuel mileage is going to have alot to do with gear ratio and what tranny that u run in it

Randy harshman at harshman automotive in smithsburg MD put a cummins in a 99 tahoe recently i believe. You could contact him too get some advice.

Thanks for info jUst keep pumping info! I would like to keep what I got at least transfer case still be able to use push button in cab need more input will get pics of tahoe soon and maybe do some trading for my stuff that want be using and current rim and tires that I am using which are 20in rim and 37in tires too big for me

The non intercooled head has bigger injector bores and requires adapters to make the P-pump injectors work . This also makes them more prone to cracking in extreme situations.Rich

so it wouldn't be worth buying that engine for 188.00 and just wait to find a newer one thats intercooled? or would i swap 94-98.5 12v head and everything on topend to the 88-93

if nothing else its worth 180 in scrap. use it as at least a mock up motor. dont see how you could go wrong at that price. at least imo need to go with 8 lug runnin gear d60front/d70-d80 rear??

You could sell the engine for 6-700 likely and at least make a buck. Once you get into 600 rwhp with a p-pumped 12v, streetability and fuel economy are gonna be sketchy, depending on use. As has been said, the 9mm head on the 89-91.5 engines are prone to cracking and not really the best candidate for big horepower/p-pump conversions. For a driver/commuter, I'd personally shot for 400/800 at the wheels and be tickled with it. Will the factory tahoe running gear even tolerate that much?....

going to solid axle want to keep t-case but i find alot of good deals on stuff wanting to know about the non intercooled 5.9 if worth getting or just wait for 12v (94-98.5) or 24v

At that price you could strip it down to a short block sell the leftovers and basically have an extra short block for free.But it would be cheaper to buy a 94 thru 98.4 P-pump motor than to convert the first gen motor.

I highly doubt the Tahoe drivetrain will handle a 600/1200 power combo... The 4L60E cant be rated to handle much more than 300/300 if it can even handle that. Also as previously posted it would be better to use 3/4-ton running gear for your axles and transmission/transfercase...

Back