Cummins into HD

SirSmokesAlot

Trucks an 03 2500HD 6.0 Gasser.
****s going wrong, so its time to put the diesel in.

Whats involved into putting a 12v into the Chevy HD Chassis? Also considering Dana up front as well. Im more concerned about electrical etc.Throw some ideas at me, Im not in the position for another truck, but this ones engine is about to **** the bed. Thanks.

dmax would be easier to do than a cummins. with a cummins you will have to do either a 4in suspension and 3in body or a 6 in suspension lift to clear the motor. a dmax would probably be a few extra sensors and ecm work

Why not just drop a Dmax into it?

same reason i didn't. A dmax swap is very expensive. You can make 500 hp w/ the cummins for as much as you'd spend buying the dmax and having the trans built.

dmax would be easier to do than a cummins. with a cummins you will have to do either a 4in suspension and 3in body or a 6 in suspension lift to clear the motor. a dmax would probably be a few extra sensors and ecm work

Not true. I had a cummins in a 2" body dropped 1500 gmc of the same body style, with a stock hood. Also the hd trucks come with a 2" body lift already.

As far as wiring goes, either way you're looking at swapping harness's or adapting stuff into what you already have.

Not interested in the Dmax. I like Cummins. I like Simplicity and options. Thats and I plan on having less than 4k into this. Honestly I would like to get rid of the truck and buy a 12 valve dodge dually and be done with that, but If I get another loan, that puts me farther away from my house, and that cant happen.

Say I get a donor truck. Theres a 93 on clist for 2500. Whats involved with the swap. How about heat and such. Anyone done anything close?

My truck also does have the body lift, and I plan on a cowl hood as well.

Can't help you on engine swap advise but I'm fixing to put a HP60 under the front of my '02 2500HD.

Here's a link to my thread.

LREIFF, thanks alot for the link, we have many of the same questions lol... As far as the Cummins, Im looking at a wrecked truck with everything I may need, keeping my fingers crossed.

How will electronics work? WHat electronics are involved in the 12v? GUages, any ideas?

I would leave the gasser ecm in place and put it's sensors/wire harness on the diesel engine...wire the diesel as a stand alone unit. For tach function get a little creative and make a custom tone ring or use a signal converter to make the tach in the dash functional. Take the bulb out of the CEL.

cummins is always a good choice, just do not care too much for dodges

same reason i didn't. A dmax swap is very expensive. You can make 500 hp w/ the cummins for as much as you'd spend buying the dmax and having the trans built.

Not true. I had a cummins in a 2" body dropped 1500 gmc of the same body style, with a stock hood. Also the hd trucks come with a 2" body lift already.

As far as wiring goes, either way you're looking at swapping harness's or adapting stuff into what you already have.

was it 4x4 or 2x4 cause i dont think on even the newer trucks that you can still clear the front diff without a lift of some sort cause of the height of the motor. a 2x4 shouldnt be an issue its the 4x4 with the differential thats been the problem with the ifs trucks.

more than likely you can keep most of the truck the same just adapt the sensors to the motor ports like the temp, oil pressure, and stuff like that. the tach might be the biggest part.

Mine was a 2wd. Body was dropped 2" over the frame rails and the trans tunnel was raised 5"