Cummins Marine Valve Cover

sixspeed

Chasing the dream
I have the Marine Valve Cover and I am trying to figure out the best way to do the breather. There is a one breather line (maybe 1/2" dia) that goes to the block down near the injector pump. I think I have that one figured out. Should I just use the one that goes to the back of the marine valve cover and run it down the side close to where the other one is? Or is there a better way?

I discontinued the stock tubing and put the plastic vent on the back of the valve cover/back of the head. Real PITA to remove and install, but keeps it clean. Then I ran rubber breather hose down towards the oil pan.

I welded the hole in the valve cover and used this big block chevy fuel pump block off plate on the fuel pump boss. Ran a line to a CCV catch can. Cleaned up the top of the engine and works well. It's made by Moroso.

attachment.php

Tap the hole in the back to 3/8 npt, use a barbed nipple there and run a hose to a catch can breather (with a drain), use a barbed fitting on the bottom of the can to the small stock hose that drains to the block (just above the one way valve) to drain the can and keep the system maintenance free

does anyone have the cummins part number for this marine valve cover for the CR engine that looks like a 24V Valve cover?

Is it possible that if a person really wanted to clean up the top of the engine, on the cheap, you could just take a Vp44 24v valve cover, drill and tap for 2 fittings on the back of the cover or on the top of the cover underneath the cowl, run one to the factory oil return and the other as a blow by tube? or as Superior Ram described, just drill and tap one hole on the back of the cover, run to a breather style catch can, then from the bottom of the can to the factory oil return?

VP44 24V have different bolt pattern than the cr. I suppose it could be done tho, jus might take sum time and a few fab skills.

ah ok. gotcha. I forgot the bolt holes are in line on a VP cover and 2 sets of 3 on the CR's. Although, I believe someone could just get longer bolts and have the valve cover hold the injector harness down aswell. Have the longer bolts go through the cover and the injector harness and bolt them both to the head with one bolt.

Last edited: