cummins or cat

DEZLFREK

my licence plate says it
so thats the big question right.. cummins big cam or 3406B.. i know nothing about the cat but im assuming they arent that hard to put some power in them.. i have done some PT stuff now and like the results.. let me know what you guys think and if you know how to turn up a B model kitty..

Kitties are just about as easy. The thing I like about a cat is the variable pump timing based off rpm instead of oil pressure like a cummins.

ya, a buddy has a truck with one that runs real good, already has an hx60 on it but im wondering how easy these are to give more or less hp to.. i know the cummins doesnt like "too much" boost in the bc 855's but the n14 addresses the main webbing issue.. i just really know nothing on the cats.. yet

I prefer the b model kitty, i have one and love it just don't get it hot. They respond very well to a little fuel as well. Adam there is a guy in our area that is very good with the b's I could put you in touch with him if you like.

Jamie

While they both can have decent power pulled out of them it's how long they last at boosted power levels that sets them apart. Longevity becomes an issues when you push an 855, for a 3406 you would almost have to double the stock HP before you would need to start worrying if it is tuned right.

ya Jamie shoot me his number.. i would like to talk to him.. Ive got a BW billit 82mm turbo of a 700hp duetz motor that might be perfect for around the same hp in a B model, or even the 595 i have might even work for a bit more power eh..

A 595 will support almost 1400 HP to the ground on a 3406 but it take a little over 900 to get one going, but without an aftermarket pump there isn't enough fuel available for much more than 800 out of a B or C.

When it warns back up I will be trying a S480 on mine to see what it acts like, the problem we run into with selecting turbos is that the turbine is never big enough to support what the comp wheel will on these big engines.

Last edited:
i hear you, thats why i am saving this bw82, it was off the locomotive my brother works on so those motors are 700hp,constant speed at 1900rpm and are 1000ci v8s. i just hope its small enough to not be a smokey lag pig for a working truck.. thats where tuning would play into it. thats what im hoping to learn.

I know of a couple A's that run everyday and seem to do okay, one pre cup and 1 di. The B's are alot easier to find parts for, though.
A c converted to a b pump would be the best if you can find one.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Not much, really. Most of the A's are idi but some of the later ones are DI. I believe that the block, crank and rods are the same for A's and B's.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

imo cat parts are very expensive. Thats why i try and stick with cummins. But to each there own. I perfer to work on cummins not cats

If you want to go cat b or c is the best bet for the mechanicals, c with a b pump is the best as has been said. My good buddy has an A turned up to the hilt its pretty boring compared to my c with a b pump turned up a little. I also get way better fuel mileage, pulling the backhoe around here all the time I am averaging 6.7 driving normal. If you keep your foot out if it they do pretty well although I am only around 60 thousand pounds I am pulling a 6% grade every time I turn around.

imo cat parts are very expensive. Thats why i try and stick with cummins. But to each there own. I perfer to work on cummins not cats

Have you bought parts for a big cam from cummins lately, there is hardly any difference now, what cummins use to be cheaper on they are now more expensive on certain parts than even CAT.

I havent lately no. But i still love the big cam. Dont get me wrong cat is a very strong motor but i just dont like to work on them

i found another truck thats almost to good to pass up but the only downside is that its b model has about 800k on it.. what do you guys think?

Back