Cummins Ranger

vandutch

I am looking to drop a 4bt cummins into a 2001 ford ranger. It is a 5 spd standard 4x4 with the 4.0L in it.
Has anyone attempted a swap like this before and ran into any issues or any insight before i start would be great. I have also considered the 1.9L VW engine but would prefer the Cummins.
Please HELP with any insight you have with problems that may occour. Or if you know of one forsale I would aslo be interested in just buying it and using it as a guide to do mine in time.

Thanks,
Steve

Save yourself a boat load of headache...get all the parts off the back of a 12v 5.9 in a 94-98 dodge...everything from the trans adapter to the slip yoke in the back of the t-case. All this will bolt to the 4bt and allow room for improvements down the road. Toss the complete ford drivetrain in the dumpster or sell it for beer money.

Last edited:
and check in at 4btswaps.com, I think some use the trans you have with the ford bread truck adapter

Last edited:
Save yourself a boat load of headache...get all the parts off the back of a 12v 5.9 in a 94-98 dodge...everything from the trans adapter to the slip yoke in the back of the t-case. All this will bolt to the 4bt and allow room for improvements down the road. Toss the complete ford drivetrain in the dumpster or sell it for beer money.

This is the only route I would ever take. It is what I did for my Dakota

Rob

and check in at 4btswaps.com, I think some use the trans you have with the ford bread truck adapter

A stock 110hp 4bt makes 250ftlb torque...that's well over double what that 4.0 makes and at alot lower rpm.

I've personally never done a 4bt swap but I have fixed a few poorly put together vehicles with 4bts.

Last edited:
A stock 110hp 4bt makes 250ftlb torque...that's well over double what that 4.0 makes and at alot lower rpm.

I've personally never done a 4bt swap but I have fixed a few poorly put together vehicles with 4bts.

yours is good advice, especially if the op will ground and pound the truck, if he is going for best mileage, light use, quick cheap conversion, the other may be the ticket

I'm deffinately looking to build the truck right the first time. I do plan on pulling it in the light class so I can gurantee the truck will take some abuse. So the tougher I can build it the first time the better.

No Sir. I can't remember the guys name that owns it. The truck was in a previous issue of Diesel Power though.

This is the only route I would ever take. It is what I did for my Dakota

Rob

What tranny are you running in the dakota and if standard what clutch? Also is it a stock BT or what do you have done to it and how is your mpg?

I have a cousin doing an 02 ranger.
He used a chevy bellhousing and a 4l80e trans.
EVERYTHING is tight. But it does fit !!!

What tranny are you running in the dakota and if standard what clutch? Also is it a stock BT or what do you have done to it and how is your mpg?

I'm running a 47RH automatic. No the 6BT has 370 Inj. 191 DV & HX-40 turbo. I get like 25 mpg on the highway.

Rob

It seems were turning towards the 4l80e trans aswell now. Its gonna be one of those fun summer long projects. Just hoping I dont run into to many problems along the way. But hoping when its done I will have one almost bullet proof truck. Thanks for the help guys and I will keep you all posted on how its going and get some pics up when it complete.

Steve

If you go on Pirate, look up Mooktank's thread on his range build. His pictures are gone now, but you should be able to glean some info from the thread itself. It was a bad ass rig.

im picking up a 4bt tomorrow for my 86 ranger 4x4. That 2.9 v6 is a gas hog and no power. Its my work truck but want to drag it a bit. Is anyone have'n luck with making power out of a 4bt I was pulling with my 6bt and twins but its not a street truck anymore.

My deal fell through on my 4bt got sold on me. Anyone know where one is at

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Im bulding a street/drag truck its a 87 ranger 4x4 putting a 12v in. Hope to have it in by the end of summer.:rockwoot:

Back