Cummins Torque/Hone Plate

Noseheavy

Does anyone know where I could rent a torque plate in or around northwest ohio? I need to do some cylinder work and really don't want to do the work without one. I wouldn't mind buying one either but I priced the one from BHJ and,............WOW...........it needs to be less expensive than that one!

Thanks Guys
Brad Lewis

deck plate

i know of a few people that have them i can ask the shop i had my machining done is anal and didn't like the one they have and machined their own out of 2" plate to their own specs that suited them. it's not far from dayton if thats close enough to you.

I'm interested in a local shop like that, Ben. PM me if you don't want to post the info.

PM fnschlaud4620, he built a really nice one. I think he was looking to loan it out for the price of shipping, don't quote me though on the specifics. He was in Michigan.

Thanks guys !!!!!
Michigan or Dayton would be great. If I could get some phone numbers PM'd to me that would be awesome !!

Thanks again
Brad

Greg at ZZ has a torque plate for sale , and for loan , and its for that purpose. 940 337 4274

Wile on the subject if someone digs this thread up down the road. There is a deck plate at Baltimore Mack in Hagerstown MD. A good friend of mine had it made when he built his 12v. Its 2" and very high quality steel. It was crazy expensive just to get the stock for it to be made from. But anyway Baltimore Macks Machine shop has it now.
I also know were there is an egg shaped bored block. If you dont use a plate your taken a big chance of that happening.

UCF Machine Shop in Carlisle, PA http://ucfmachineshop.com/ Is one of the only shops East of the Mississippi that has a BHJ Torque Plate for the Cummins. Call and ask for Mike.

They are doing my block ;)

Yep, I had Baltimore Mack do a block for me last year. They used the one Timebomb mentioned. I wouldn't do a block any other way.

I've got one, let me know if you are interested in renting it.

Do these keep the honing device straight and true? Or what is the purpose...I'm engine stupid.

Do these keep the honing device straight and true? Or what is the purpose...I'm engine stupid.
It puts the block under stress as if a cylinder head was bolted on. When you bolt on a cylinder head the bores will tend to distort. Boring/Honing with a block under distortion via torque plate will ensure round true bores..............

When the plate is torqued down on the block it simulates the head being torqued down and the studs under high clamp load seems to distort the cylinder walls with defection. So your honing the cylinder to be the exactly round/true like it should when the engine is built.

hay Jeff , we need a sticky with locations of these plates , and shops that use or load them. its that critical in doing it right , RayMac has one , but dosen't loan it
Greg at ZZ has one , and is building them out of 3" alumimum , or 1.5 " steel

talk to UNOH in lima and see if they can do all the work for you in the hi-po shop......