Cylinder Head

schaef_12

Diesel Junkie
I have been looking on ebay for a Head for my cummins and see that they are going for around $850 on ebay with valve springs. What does a Lighty ported & polished (like a stage I) o-ringed head cost?

Save yourself some grief and order one from Pure Diesel Power. His price is the best your going to find and the quality is better than the ones on ebay.

Ok, now do I want to O-ring or Firering? I Plan on keeping staying at the 450-500hp range. Is the port and polish worth the $$$ and wait?

O-ring it and get the P&P and a good valve job, My opinion do the goods while it is off and don't look back or wish you would have done it while it was off!
Brandon

In that Hp range you dont need anything done to your head. Stock gasket and even stock studs will handle that hp level. You need to upgrade studs if you are going to go up over 50ish psi of boost. My head is totally stock other than valve train, and I am over 1000 hp

Kevin

This is the 2nd headgasket in 3 months. Started with a stock gasket and bolts and lasted about 1 week. Then i put in a .10 over marine with 12mm arp head studs and did 3 retourqes. lasted about 2 months and is gone again. I decked the head and checked the block for flatness. I think the head may be cracked. It blew the first gasket after i had the timing bumped to supposedly 15.5*. First time the mechanic has done one. What kind of timing does it take to fry a .10 over gasket with studs?

I think cracked and warped by the sounds of it. I run ARPs and a stock gasket, hit over 70psi on the dyno, never a problem. Putting twins on this year, probably will look at getting the head done later this year

Kevin

Back