Cylinder pressure data

Why is there two peaks? Two injection events?

Also, why not just modify the head for a sensor? I thought the main reason guys don't do it is due to the cost of each sensor, not the cost of machining a hole in the head...

It would be very interesting to see the pressure comparisons when timing is advanced vs. retarded as well as loading the engine earlier in the rpm band.

Last edited:
Am I reading that correctly? 110bar? 1595psi?

Bear with me one second- if torque is a function of cylinder pressure, then a 5.9 with 2x torque output of stock (1200tq) should make 3200psi of cylinder pressure?

According to the internet guru's, diesel racing cylinder pressures make top fuel look weak. Hmm....

That is a very trick way to get pressure data.

Where would one place a typical sensor (like used in a dmax) on a CR head?

From diesel data I've seen before multiple events show up as second or third order peaks, a pilot event done right can lower the main peak.

The only top fuel data I seen put them in the 4800-5000 peak, but that was a long time ago. However, you can calculate average cylinder pressure, and they are in the 1400-1600 psi....AVERAGE! Not hard to imagine the torque produced at the most advantageous crank angle.

I was trying to find that SAE paper to see just were they machined the head. Not seeing a real handy place.

Am I reading that correctly? 110bar? 1595psi?

Bear with me one second- if torque is a function of cylinder pressure, then a 5.9 with 2x torque output of stock (1200tq) should make 3200psi of cylinder pressure?

According to the internet guru's, diesel racing cylinder pressures make top fuel look weak. Hmm....

Not even close, top fuel delivers pressure that we could only dream of.

I posted once that top fuel PSI reaches up to 16,000 psi and the evidence that shows it.

Not even close, top fuel delivers pressure that we could only dream of.

I posted once that top fuel PSI reaches up to 16,000 psi and the evidence that shows it.

Don't those engines get torn apart between every run!?

Somehow I don't see sled pullers rebuilding their engines between every run. I'm sure some have but not for the same reason top fuelers do.