Dad's 6.0 Blue Smoke

Countryboy07

As the title says, my dad's 6.0L is running rough and blowing blue smoke. The odd thing is that it only does it above 2000 rpms. I am confused on the whole thing, because it doesn't do it all the time. When he is pulling with it, 15,000-20,000 pounds, it doesn't really do it, but when he is just driving back and forth to work, it will. The truck doesn't even have enough power to pass someone if you bring the rpms up above 2000. You can put the throttle to the floor and it just smokes more. If someone can give me some insight as to what to do, I would greatly appreciate it. BTW, it isn't throwing any codes.

-French

Blue smoke is usually associated with burning oil.

Check your Dad's turbo. See if you have end play.

Blue smoke is usually associated with burning oil.

Check your Dad's turbo. See if you have end play.

I've thought about the turbo being the problem before, but it only does it under certian conditions, not all the time. Would this still sound like a turbo issue?

-French

There are a lot of different things it could be. Turbo seals are usually pretty consistent when they leak. They just leak, but it is easier to start with the simple stuff. Check the end play.

As you are doing that, see how much oil is in the inlet.

Thanks. I am going to work on it this weekend. I might put my turbo and FICM on my dads truck to see if that helps the problem.

-French

My truck has blue smoke shortly after start up and when I take off from a stop sign. Here's the kicker... it only does it with stock tuning. It will also only do it in gear 1-3 or so, then clears up. Once up to temp it goes away. If I load a tune on it, I dont get it at all.

My '06 Smokes blue from start up.. Never goes away, Has smoked ever since the truck Was New.. I figured it was a 6.0l Thing.. But mines also a Lemon

If any of you have rerouted the crankcase vent and used too small of a hose. Like 3/8ID. It will build crankcase pressure and let it smoke blue. If you haven't rerouted it. Check your crankcase breather for a restriction.

If any of you have rerouted the crankcase vent and used too small of a hose. Like 3/8ID. It will build crankcase pressure and let it smoke blue. If you haven't rerouted it. Check your crankcase breather for a restriction.

Having a restricted breather wouldn't cause low power would it? Also, I was pulling with it today and it seemed like the harder I worked it, the better the truck ran. I'm going to do some work to it tomorrow and will update everybody on Monday.

-French

Finally got a chance to look at my dad's truck today. Checked the turbo for end play and everything felt tight. I put my ID tuned FICM on his truck and started it up. It took me about 5 trys to get his truck started. The first 2 times it started and died right away. The last 2 trys it started, ran for about 20-30 seconds, then died. The 5th time, she started and idled rough for about 1 min then everything smoothed out. I thought cool, and jumped in the drivers seat to drive it down the road real quick. As soon as I put her in gear, she had nothing, I had to put my foot in her a little more just to get her to move, so I stopped in the drive and let her warm up for another couple of minutes. I took off down the road and everything seemed to be fine, I just took it slow. I stopped at the end of the road and I smelled burning oil. I left the intake off when I went for this drive and I believe that the turbo is blowing oil out of the compressor housing and getting on the hot engine. I also looked below the trubo and noticed that the lower portion of the compressor housing is wet with oil. It looks like the drain tube is leaking oil as well. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what to do next? Do I need to order him a new turbo, or is there a rebuild kit available? Any advice is greatly appreciated and sorry for the long post, I just wanted to share what I found.

-French

definetaly do the updated oil tubes! made good improvements on mine!

Didn't know that there was an update for the oil tube. My truck is an '03 and I have not had a single issue with mine. Our drain tubes appear to be the same. I will have to check into getting an updated oil tube.

-French

the oil tubes from like an 06 are the ones youll need..

they are bigger then the 03s and 04s. plus the feed line doesnt have the rubber inside it, which i was told that over time, the rubber will break and stop up the line..

You're positive it's the turbo blowing oil and not the oil filter housing? My housing was cracked cause oil to leak down in the valley of the motor. Over time it eventually caused the turbo to get coated in oil before I was able to realize the problem.

Just another thing to look for while you're there.

You're positive it's the turbo blowing oil and not the oil filter housing? My housing was cracked cause oil to leak down in the valley of the motor. Over time it eventually caused the turbo to get coated in oil before I was able to realize the problem.

Just another thing to look for while you're there.

Filter housing is fine, no cracks that I can see. Most of the oil is in the intake tube and it no longer has the CCV hooked up, so its not from that. I will pick up the updated drain tube and see if that helps.

-French

Filter housing is fine, no cracks that I can see. Most of the oil is in the intake tube and it no longer has the CCV hooked up, so its not from that. I will pick up the updated drain tube and see if that helps.

-French

What size hose did you use on the CCV reroute?

Back