Dana 80 limitations

tcarda

I currently have a 35 Dana 80 in my pulling truck with Moser axles. I am looking at 2 different options.

1. Putting in a 37 spline axles, spool, and 5.38 gears.
2. Putting in a F106 with 6.20 gears.

The Dana 80 is welded in my truck and the truck hooks well, but I am not dead set against pulling it out and putting in the 106 either. This is in a gas pulling truck equipped with a 532 cu in. BBC. What are the HP and TQ limitations of the Dana 80?

What may work for a gas truck may not work for a diesel so some of the opinions you may get here might not be accurate for your application. $.02

I would put the 106 in just for weight savings. That 80 is way heavier. There are a lot of super stock trucks around here running welded 106 with stock shafts still.

All of the ones I have seen have been. The housing is very thick and heavy on the 80.

I would sell the 80 and use the 106. You will be better off in the long run.

I say do the 106 and never look back. The 106 is atleast 100 pounds lighter then the D80

Last edited:
I weighed my F106 today and its didn't have any brake parts on it and it weighed 450 lbs. I weighed a D80 that came out of UPS truck that has 37 spline alxes and it had still had the big disc brake rotors on it along with the 10 bolt hubs. The D80 weighed 515 lbs with the rotors. I am guessing that the D80 would weigh about 465 with out the rotors.

Last edited:
I weighed my F106 today and its didn't have any brake parts on it and it weighed 450 lbs. I weighed a D80 that came out of UPS truck that has 37 spline alxes and it had still had the big disc brake rotors on it along with the 10 bolt hubs. The D80 weighed 515 lbs with the rotors. I am guessing that the D80 would weigh about 465 with out the rotors.

I want that rear, mine turned out to be a Disc brake 10 lug 70HD, I thought it was an 80 until I got my first look at it...My dad bought it for me in Iraq cause from the description it sounded like a F-Superduty 37 Spline 10 lug 80...

I want that rear, mine turned out to be a Disc brake 10 lug 70HD, I thought it was an 80 until I got my first look at it...My dad bought it for me in Iraq cause from the description it sounded like a F-Superduty 37 Spline 10 lug 80...

You want the Dana 80 I have with the 10 bolt hubs?

I have a d80 with 10 bolt, disk brakes, 37 spline axles, no carrier. $200 would get it.

Back