Dana 80 Limited slip limits

ws6 blackbird

What are the limits of the factory Dana 80 limited slip in a drag racing high torque application? Will a 4 series factory limited slip or detroit locker work with 3.31 r&p ?

Spiders went first for me, very early on. They are a known weakness; it seems the 80 has the same ones used in the 60.

And I don't think you can get a Detroit for a D80 that's geared that high.

Yeah I think I made it 3 pulls before I shot spider gear chunks through the cover. If you can afford it go with something better.

My Dana 80 posi grenaded too. I think it was just the 4th pull. I now have a welded stock carrier. It works great and hasn't given any trouble (yet) so you could go that route if you have no plans for driving on the street.

412466_10151056419447878_1289483515_o.jpg

I destroyed mine 3 years ago when truck was around 500. Spider gear bout came threw rear cover. Spooled now

from phone

I ran mine for years and never had a problem with it. Truck pulling and pulling a overloaded GN.

Ran an open welded carrier for half a season, got tired of the terrible turning, put a limited slip in for just a little more street ability. It broke the first hook right at the line. LOL I didn't realize it, it just popped at the line, figured it was something like the chain, next hook noticed it was jumping and popping.

I had an ARB in my D80 in the puller.

First one with the 3.54 ratio, ended up spinning the bearing on the driverside carrier(on the carrier, just needed like a $120 piece to fix) second one ran for 2.5 years in a puller, and it finally grenaded the internals. I would say it held up pretty well. I know of a 3rd ARB that sheared right at the drivers side carrier bearing.

All 3 of these units lasted several years in a high HP pulling truck.

I had an ARB in my D80 in the puller.

First one with the 3.54 ratio, ended up spinning the bearing on the driverside carrier(on the carrier, just needed like a $120 piece to fix) second one ran for 2.5 years in a puller, and it finally grenaded the internals. I would say it held up pretty well. I know of a 3rd ARB that sheared right at the drivers side carrier bearing.

All 3 of these units lasted several years in a high HP pulling truck.

That's good to hear. I need a very streetable option, and the ARB is looking like the route.