DD clutch in front of a Getrag

DBraunig

afc wannabe
Hey,

Some of you 1st gen pullers are running a SB DD with the Getrag trans. We are having some issues with the release fork actually hitting the pressure plate when the clutch/bellhousing are installed? has anyone had this trouble already and what did you do? SB said we need to use the OE shift fork, which we are, but something is wrong, this fork is tight/pushing on the pressure plate. any ideas are really appreciated. this truck is a 93 p-pump conversion with the Getrag/driveline.

Dave

I may have misunderstood the post but if he is just talking about the pressure on the release bearing then YES THEY ALL DO. Its because of gravity pulling down on the fluid in the line and which pushes on the fluid in the slave which has a larger surface area and pushes out on the rod and holds the fork up tight on the release bearing and pressure plate fingers.

Now if it is hitting any other part of the pressure plate then there is a prob.

SBC has this all worked out now, Big thanks to Peter and Manseil for taking care of it so quickly. Sent parts fast, no charge, no freight......the same service we have all gotten used to from SBC :rockwoot:

thanks guys,

Dave

I had the same problem with my Getrag and DD. I ground it down for clearance with no problems. It took us taking it in and out five times one night and giving up to call South Bend to figure out the problem.:bang

South Bend built you guys a DD clutch with a 1.25" input? I thought I read on their site or somewhere that they wouldn't build a DD for a Getrag. Interesting, how much did it cost? If no one wants to say publicly, pm me. I've thought about going DD on my next clutch but had given up on that due to thinking I needed a NV4500 with a 1 3/8's input.

It was about $1,600 for mine. it is a 3,600 12 Button DD South Bend Puller. Same size input shaft as a stock NV 4500.