ddp 5k gov kit

Lostnwalmart

i installed one today along with some new valve springs and on start up she reved up to 2200 rpm called larry eriler for clarification on the directions. and was just wonderin do i just need to adjust the idle from here? thanks guys will go adjsut the idle screw and check for updates (and if it fixes it ill let you know)

ok so disconnected the cruise and throttel cable and it would idle at 1500 but not start without a burp of the throttel. then diss assembled the front throttel from the actual thats on the rear of the pump and it will idle no lower than 1100 rpm and after it will die hope this makes sense :poke: please some info. and when it was at 2500 rpm if you put it in gear it would go down to 900 rpm like nothing had just happened

oh we also put a new fuel filter on the truck and the lift pump would not prime so that may be the issue and it leaked fuel when we primed it. so were going to get a new one tommrow and put a stocker from a vp inline as a pusher pump :aiwebs_023: any advise that fixes it will recive candy and a free ride in my van

How do you have them set, Initial plus how many clicks? Has your pump ever been bench tuned to a set of 4K's? Mine has and 5K's will not work in my pump.

Jim

pump has never been off the truck went 3 clicks the kit came with a new idle spring so i used those will try using the stock one today to see how she runs im kinda at a loss on this one. there was no lower spring seat and just the spring that goes inside the idle spring.

Yep I know that kit, try backing it off one click.......keep the same idle spring and just for the sake of asking you kept the shims under the idle spring right?

Jim

we reused the thicker one and took out the skinny one as instructed will try backing it off one click. and as far as keeping the same idle spring do you mean the stock spring or the new one that came with the kit (which we installed) thanks again jim ur a life saver (if it works that is):bow:

I like the idea of 5K's but I'm beginning to think there a PITA unless you have a pump on the stand, even when I couldn't get mine to do what I wanted on the low end they drove fine, even on cruise control, not any worse than 4K's on the edge.

Jim

I had a problem setting mine up also. I ended up using two .20 shims under the large idle spring for a total .40 & then set them at 3 clicks & it's perfect. Don't use the stock idle spring use the idle springs that came in the kit. Mine idles at 800 rpm & it revs nice & smooth with control & not the big jump like it was doing.

Kurt

I had a problem setting mine up also. I ended up using two .20 shims under the large idle spring for a total .40 & then set them at 3 clicks & it's perfect

I'm going to look at that with my spare pump.

Jim

Give that a try Jim. I was about to pull my hair out with these springs so i called columbus & that is what they told me to do & it worked. I also used the big flat wear plate that goes under all the springs & shims.

Kurt

Kurt, I got some shims locally and did the .040 plus the wear washer under it and it is allot better but not perfect at initial plus 2, was thinking about one or two more shims to try and get a little better control over the idle (little less drop in gear....about 300 rpm) and one more click for upper RPM but it's not jumpy now......what do you think!

Jim

My truck is the one Lostnwalmart is asking about.
I've replaced the lift pump, havn't installed the pusher pump...yet.
Today, I messed with it untill I was blue in the face!:bang Tried running the springs tight, tried loose, Idle screw in and out, shims, no shims etc.. Still can't get it to Idle right, Either wont Idle at all, or 1500rpm, the truck still dies as soon as I put it in gear.:bang With help from DDP determined the shim under the Idle spring is too thin, mines .013" ? They're gonna send me some new, thicker shims, and I'll give it another go.
I put the stockers back in for now.

My shims were .025 and I jumped them to .040, I'll jump up another .020 and try that, then go from there. I have it allot closer now as it idles at 950 in park and 650 in gear with a tight converter, 4K's will do 900 and 700, I tried initial plus 3 clicks but it was too much of a drop and I don't want them set up loose.

Jim

Jim, as you may remember I also run the CDS 5k's and they installed fine in my non benched 911, I run them on the "edge" as you prob. do with the 4k's due to me always being gear limited. I have the ware shim, 1 .020" under just the idle and inital +6, this is as far as you can take them.... at 7 you cant get the idle down low enough. But these same springs installed totaly diff. in the B.I.L.'s truck with a also non benched 160hp pump, we ended up with .060" under in the idle spring and inintal + 4, in his tune up. This was needed to get his to continue idle after dropped in gear, anything other than this it would die when put in gear even with a obnoxious very high idle..... like has already been said many times about these springs, they set up diff. it seems in every pump.
Ryan

Thanks Ryan, I'll try .060 this weekend and go from there, I'm actually suprised how well they work now as before I was about to throw rock at it before.

Jim

Jim, I would add another .020 shim under the idle spring & try that. It may take some tinkering to get it just right but it's well worth it. I bet you wont end up going more than initial plus 3 as your pump sounds just like my pump did. Good luck & don't get discouraged.

Kurt

Back