dead pedal, p0216, whats going on?

turbo dreams

in college and broke
i have gotten a dead pedal a couple times here lately. it will only do it while the truck is in overdrive. i will be cruising along at say 55 or 60 mph in OD and i will go to lightly accelerate to go up a hill and the truck will not do nothing. the engine noise will change slightly but not much. then i continue to push the accelerator to the floor where it will finally downshift and accelerate. it will also buck with the crusie control on. i will set cuise at 55 and a small incline will come up and it will loose speed until something kicks in and the truck pulls off. which is funny because with the cruise on it will finally pull in OD with cruise off it will dead pedal until i give it WOT which is when it will downshift and take off. never got a CEL. i pulled codes anyway and got the p0216. cleared it out. i am not sure whats going on. the pump has 38,000 miles on it. it runs great, extremely smooth idle. shifts through the gears fine. i am just at a lose here of what it could be, because last time my pump went out you could definetly tell it was bad. Please HELP,- Chris

P.S. i am sick of this vp stuff. i am about to sell this thing for nearly nothing and get a 12valve.

The 0216 is the Death code for the VP44. Sorry Bro. How old is the pump?

year and a half. i thought it would last longer than 40k miles. i am really tired of spending 1200 bucks and a day or two labor on these pumps.

ouch she on her last leg >? u got guages/or anyway to ck the pressure going into the vp maybe ur lp is dyeng out and eating the vp

You might want to check your TPS. When they go out the symptoms are similer with the periodic dead pedal.

CC12V said:
You might want to check your TPS. When they go out the symptoms are similer with the periodic dead pedal.

i was thinking along these lines. the truck runs too good to be the pump, to me. i took the three 13mm bolts that hold the housing down and the sensor and throttle linkage looked good. i am not sure how to check a sensor. is there a way to check it? would the sensor be a dealer only part?

Try to reset it, there is an article on it in the tech section. If the reset doesn't work you need someone with a laptop and the right software to hook on the truck and read that sensor, if you have breaks in the readout it's a bad APPS. If it is a bad APPS you will have to go to either the dealer or a Cummins parts house to get it.