DEAD VP or Electrical? its story time!

SixOhh

EPA unfriendly
trying to remotely diagnose the ol ladys rig from 8 hours away...

2001 stock motor with 297k. it has been awesome for her. all she does is drive it.

airdog w/ fuel sump, gauges and a smarty (built 47re of course).

last night she was VERY low on fuel. filled up the tank with #2, rode the feeder for 2 miles and went to accelerate onto the freeway and it died. lost everything. it will stumble and try to start but no dice.

SO... my first 2 thoughts are 1) bad fuel or 2) the VP picked up some air and killed the VP.

had a buddy crack the fuel lines by the injector and they are barley pissing and some are even making fuel bubbles. not good.
i had her drain the airdog separator and it is definitely Diesel and there is no water.

at almost 300k i could care less if its the VP pump. i say good job to that pump, considering the other stories if heard.

TROUBLE CODES from smarty...
P1688 Internal Fuel Inj Pump controller failure
P0254 VP fuel valve current high
P1693 DTC in JTEC module (companion code) not sure i understand that one)
P0602 ECM fueling calibration error (from the smarty tuning ????)
P0122 TPS / APPS voltage Low
P0500 No VSS (possibly from smarty ABS tire size adjustment?)

I am ruling out Crank sensor and also the air dog gauge is right on at 18 psi.

Would you agree with the VP pump taking a crap?
all the codes lean to the pump except except the last 3 and the TPS code is throwing me off wondering about apps.

I have no way to jump the VP wiring yet until i get home and the same goes for seeing if it will fire off a little bit of ether (i HATE having to resort to that)

considering the codes and the lack of fuel i am seeing going to the sticks what do you VP guys think?

EDIT= one more thing. i returned the truck back to stock, cleared all codes and had someone crank on it for 10 seconds to see what codes it would regenerate and only P1688 and P1693 came back.

the 1688 code ... would that be the same as the FCA on my cp3? inj pump controller failure?

-Marcus

Last edited:
My guess would be VP. Need to troubleshoot some more though. Is the Airdog still working?

I'm going to bet that the alternator killed the VP44. If there is more than 0.1 Volts AC from the Alternator then you could be killing your electronics. A normal alternator should be about 0.01 to 0.02 AC volts.

But here is what 0.3 volts AC looks like,
http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/28-transmission-systems/260-torque-converter-lock-unlock-issues

20141119_134311_resized_zps2d8ea538.jpg

Mopar man deserves a freakin VP Troubleshooting medal/plaque! He has helped lots of guys though the years.

Seeing the VSS code, I would guess that you have other issues, also. clean & grease all connections, clear codes, prime filter, VP44 & then injectors. Depending on the climate, you could have gelled fuel, also.

Ed

i had the same issue with one of my trucks and the same codes. it would spit and kick and finally would run half azzed. so when i checked my fuel and all of that good stuff i took it up to the stealership and had them test the vp pump to see if there star scan could communicate. all said and done they tested the ecm which they said was fine but could not get the control module on the pump to respond or communicate with anything so i took it home and put a hot rod on it and havent had a problem since. i would get a star scanner and see what you can find

Michael your info is endless i tell ya ;)

is the FPCM part of the VP pump?

thanks sir.

well i have about a week till i can come home from the rig and turn wrenches and as much as i REALLY want to get a pump ordered now, the oil patch has me scared for money.

so i think what im going to do is wait till i get home. make sure its not air locked, confirm inlet pressure and quality of fuel, then do the hot wire test on the VP before i place a thousand dollar order.

suicide, thanks for the tip sir.

Seeing the VSS code, I would guess that you have other issues, also. clean & grease all connections, clear codes, prime filter, VP44 & then injectors. Depending on the climate, you could have gelled fuel, also.

Ed

she got new tires and i did a ABS update with smarty about a week before. i wonder if that is my VSS code?????:poke:

some of the best info i have EVER read on a VP pump...

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44diagnostichelp.html

If the engine won’t start, AND YOU HAVEN’T OPENED ANY FUEL LINES OR REPLACED THE FUEL FILTER SINCE IT LAST RAN, and you have either or both a 1688 or 1689 code, the truck will never start until you replace the injection pump, 99% of the time.

some of the best info i have EVER read on a VP pump...

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44diagnostichelp.html

If the engine won’t start, AND YOU HAVEN’T OPENED ANY FUEL LINES OR REPLACED THE FUEL FILTER SINCE IT LAST RAN, and you have either or both a 1688 or 1689 code, the truck will never start until you replace the injection pump, 99% of the time.

Question is why did the P1688 and P1689 codes happen? Yes BC is right about having to change the pump to make it run. But he says nothing of why the damage was done. (Hint) if everyone knew why the pumps were failing people would have to buy VP44's.

I've got 240k on the clock and 190k on this VP44. I don't plan on buying a VP44 anytime soon.

Chip tells me its from too many heat cycles on the circuit board.

her truck has 297k on it so im not upset at all!

the truck has always had an airdog @ 2 microns and a shot of opti lube every other tank.

Maybe some should measure the heat eh? I can tell you that most VP44 run about 120-140*F which isn't hot at all. Now ask yourself how many time have you seen a...

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/158-p0180-fuel-injection-pump-temp-out-of-range

Not heat cycles... If so I really wonder how my truck survives the 105-115*F heat every summer here in Idaho. This includes towing trailers up 16-20% grades loaded. Then go down to -25*F in the winter time. This is a 10 year old VP44 and had 10 years of heat cycles and never failed.

Again I know my AC noise level is right now at 0.023 VAC at idle unloaded and 0.030 VAC full loaded with everything on. What kills the PSG is the pulsation of AC noise this why people like myself have VP44 that last forever. Also you have to remember AC voltage does create heat on all transistors, diodes, and MOSFET's.

Last edited: