Dealers who install studs

Benchwrench

How can I get my local shop get paid under the factory warranty for replacing the oem headbolts for ARP headstuds?

Some dealers don't have a problem with this, however the local one here just wants to get paid if they do the job.

Its really going to depend on the dealer. Technically speaking they shouldn't be doing it, and if they get turned in by another dealer, they can get in a lot of trouble and be charged back the amount of labor and parts for the work. The tech is actually taking a risk doing it for you. Some dealers are fine with this, others aren't. I got the dealer I bought my truck from to do it for me, but I've heard now that they wont be doing them anymore because of this reason.

A few i've talked too say they won't do it, and a few have told me they will if they have to go into the engine already and i supply the Studs at the time of the repair... Was also told that the headbolts arn't the reason for failure it was the old "bad" design of the Head Gaskets

A few i've talked too say they won't do it, and a few have told me they will if they have to go into the engine already and i supply the Studs at the time of the repair... Was also told that the headbolts arn't the reason for failure it was the old "bad" design of the Head Gaskets

Nope its the TTY bolts. The headgaskets are actually really good. A lot of guys use OEM gaskets when they have their ARP's installed, including me.

The bolts were designed to stretch so that the head would remain flat, but it just didn't work. The boost levels and cylinder pressures are just too much for the weak bolt design, coupled with not enough bolts per cylinder to keep the heads in tact.

Need to know where you're at. In Peoria, IL (home of CAT by the way)...River City Diesel does it for $2800 and I think it includes the studs and gaskets. Plus they will do other things while the cab is up. Read their ad and see what I'm talking about. For me...that would be a 3 hour drive and well worth it...if I had a 6L Ford. Maybe I can get them to do the LB7 Duramax for that price :).

Perhaps even worth it for those who might have to travel a bit. Peoria is a decent city with things to do while you had to wait. They have a gambling boat too. You might get lucky and win enough to pay for it!! Where else can you do that? Take a mini vacation. Just a thought.

Plus they do a nice EGR delete and many other things like head work.

Where are you located? I know of a dealer in the North East that will do them no questions asked, whether they're bad or not, the only issue is you have to buy the studs from them, but they keep them in stock, and will give you a loaner car as well.

Ford did it for me if I supplied the studs. Only problem is they didn't install them right and I blew the HG's again (they didn't TQ them down right). I took it to another dealer in a different state were I broke down and they covered it under warrenty(with my old ARP studs). Because of the studs they thought the problem was the EGR cooler and informed FORD TECHS at Dearborn of the issue and they thought that it was the cooler too because I had studs and the HG's should be good. Ford did not void my warranty because of the studs. They know its the fix but if they buy the studs it sets a pressedent for future repairs. ARP's would cost a lot when their not a international part and IHC isn't paying Ford for warranty work on the 6.0 anyway.

Back