Degas Bottle Cap Spewing..

azkcr

Hey Chaps,
So I posted a while back about my truck making an annoying whining sound
that is made when I let off the gas after it's run past ~2,200rpm or when my boost has gotten to about 20-25psi..
It'll do it ONLY when completely warmed up. But not every-time time I drive it, only every other couple times I drive it... I've come to the conclusion that the sound is from my degas bottle cap letting out the gasses produced from boiling coolant, b/c when I pop my hood there's dried coolant around the bottle and on the top of my hood...(if I'm anywhere close to wrong tell me.. haha) caused by heat flashes.. And I'm thinking the heat flashes are caused by A) my EGR malfunctioning.. B) EGR not even on (dunno if my SCT turned it off..)... C) EGR about to rupture/clogged if not already D) Or some kind of head gasket issue....
I know that when the EGR isn't running right a CEL will come on, but since I have the SCT I'm not sure if it's blocking the code from going through...
I'm sorry to be *bdh* here but it's my baby and like all guys that read this understand that I wanna make sure she's doing alright.... :hehe:
Thanks for ANY input..
-Ben

And my truck is an '06 PSD, standard, with 5" turbo back MBRP.. SCT with DP tunes.... yaaa.. just thought that might be needed.. haha

There are tons of post about this very issue (puking) and the cause could be any of the things you listed. The easiest thing to try first is the new style degas cap from Ford. Beyond that I would do a search for puking and you will find all the info you could ever need to do some diagnosis.

Good luck.

could be anything. EGR cooler, Oil cooler, headgaskets..could be one or all three. You need to monitor your EOT vs. ECT that will help you figure out whats going on.

You can always pump up the cooling system and look in the intake manifold for coolant. That will give you an indication if the egr cooler is done.

what should the ect temp be? my truck is puking too but the highest i've ever seen my ect go to is 200 and thats when i'm pushing 100 otherwise its around 186.

I dont know what the standard number is but anything 210* and under should be fine.

Cool Cool.. I'll do what I can... But it's hard to run any kinds of tests that I want when I'm 10+hrs from home.. Freakin college....

Jmanf250

so - now im confused... if deleting the egr is supposed to cool your motor, then why, if it not working, would your coolant boil. Sorry I'm a dumb :shake:, but i am looking for some type of clarity on the issue.
THanks

so - now im confused... if deleting the egr is supposed to cool your motor, then why, if it not working, would your coolant boil. Sorry I'm a dumb :shake:, but i am looking for some type of clarity on the issue.
THanks

Don't quote me, but even if the EGR is deleted you're not guarenteed against spewing due to other reasons I think.. You might be having boiling flashes/bad degas bottle cap that leaks easily/very bad coolant/too much PSI within the cooling system (I noticed the other day that it literally says the cap is only good to something like 18psi, which isn't all THAT much considering all that goes on within the hood).... It can be a number of things I've come to find out by looking around on this site..
ONCE AGAIN.. don't quote me 'cause I myself am amazd by the EGR and coolant system, and how they can make a decent engine basically hated..

ME-->:kick:<--EGR System

Back