degreeing a stock cam. Factory spec or off set it?

kino_fab

KTPA Tech Official
Working on a truely budget 2.6 puller. 24v, 13mm ag pump that we stole from Lynn's 2wd, and an old style 2.6 protrusion schied charger. I know the turbo doesn't compare even close to what the HX60's and all he other hot ticket turbo's these days, but its all we got.... Not looking to win and don't care if we finish 100ft behind everybody, just going to have a good time.

Any ways, the cam we are using is a stock cam from an 07 5.9 CR that i plan on installing next week. I know in the gasser world, advancing the cam will lower the RPM range some and retarding it will actually raise the RPM range. Does this appy the same way for the diesels? Would you adjust the cam degree at all or just put it at stock specs? If so how much would you move it?

On a side note, i've looked for a cam card/ specs on the CR cams and cannot find anything. If anyone has some info they would share it would be much appreciated. THANKS!!!!

Last edited:
Screw it! On a build like that just retard it 5* and let us know how it works. I don't think it could hurt you.

I may try it. Would love to have my own dyno so I could use my own time to compare results.

Any updates on this? My motor ate a cam so I'm gonna throw together another motor quick for next week. Also I have a 12v cam, 24v cam, and a CR cam kicking around. Is any one better than another? I'd assume the CR cam has the highest power band...

only difference in the cams are the amount of overlap in each. 12 and 24v are almost identical in duration and lift. the only difference in the CR is the duration on the exhaust is around 15* shorter. I would think the 24v cam would be the best overall cam for power

Last edited:
spend all of that money of a 2.6 puller and not get a cam. all of the cams stock are no where near close to what you need. the 24 valve would work better, and its " retard" the cam for higher rpms, this leaves the intake open longer. I feel so bad for you , I'll toss a cam at it . I have a 230 211 new in the box. this is the best that can be done on a 2.6 with a cast UGL

on a scale of cams the worst to best
CR 5.9 or 6.7 cams are at best fence post 98 LSA kills them
12 valve late cams are no better reall on a 102 to 103 LSA
24 valve VP core are on a 108 , problem is the events are very small, and even small at .200

Last edited:
Back