details about your converter

Lucas1

ive asked the question before on another site and got the standard
"buy the goerend or suncoast" converter awnser

now neither of these don't really work with me ie: shipping/duty/core/taxes being up in canada...eh

i wont deal with BD or DTT and they wont say why there converter is better or details anyway
i do know the TCS converter has a 15 blade impeller and its in 1000hp trucks apparently.drops stall approx 500rpm.non billet cover/stator

whats the details on the other guy's...are the ones down south that much different??

will my he351 have a hard time spooling?

i have a specrite in mine i believe its a steel stator dont remeber really an it stalls at 1600 it spools my h1c with a 21cm ex. housing. i would imagine it would spool the he351 quite well

Specrite has 2. The cheaper one has an aluminum strator and the expensive one has a steel borg warner one.

As far as billet cover, I assume you are gonna need it as the stock ones and tighter ones balloon a bit. IDK if this is true, just what I heard.

Phill @ DPC will cut you a custom stator to adjust stall & flash to just about anywhere you want... & if you dont like it what you get, he will change it for free 1 time on a tripple.
I've installed about 20 of his converters, & run one in all 3 of my personal trucks. Its VERY nice to have the perfect converter for your tune!

Specrite has 2. The cheaper one has an aluminum strator and the expensive one has a steel borg warner one.

As far as billet cover, I assume you are gonna need it as the stock ones and tighter ones balloon a bit. IDK if this is true, just what I heard.

a friend had a steel borg warner stator in the factory convertor put in.
we put the convertor in last weekend ,and well it was our opinion that its not the convertor for a real performance application .
better then stock but not by much.
the price was right though.a good replacement

now with me and the stock convertor after 25 psi boost all the truck does is make noise..doesnt seam to move much faster.

before i get bigger sticks and spray it i need a convertor taht can take it.

iam also not really interested in a swap to a lock-up and buy a triple disk. i think id go nv5600 first

anyone have any info on the ATS or SUNCOAST??

I'm in the same boat. I want a converter to hold 500'ish and be able to take the abuse of the strip. BUT i don't want to go to a lock up.

ATS is $$$ compared to Suncoast. And I have not heard a lot of good things about ATS.

go with the spec rite with steal stator for sure, I went 11.65 with it.

i agree with cole specrite is the way to go there price is not bad at all for the steel stator an good guys to work with

go with the spec rite with steal stator for sure, I went 11.65 with it.

anymore info besides the steel stator and how much$$$ where you get it?

i see it say custom stator.i wonder how different it is to the other brands with custom stators??

see where the choices are endless.
ill call them right now and see what they say

Last edited:
I run a custom SunCoast converter in my home built mess (NON lock-up A518). It's a tighter version of the off-the-shelf unit they sell with the steel stator.

My best at 6400lbs is 1.669 60', 5.09 330', 8.01 8th @ 83 and 12.81 @ 101 (Coastal Plains, NC).

:)

BC would these converters like yours and coles work for a DD and a tow rig, or would they have some bad street maners.

Dar

BC would these converters like yours and coles work for a DD and a tow rig, or would they have some bad street maners.

Dar
Dar, I can't speak for Cole, but in my experience, both the off-the-shelf version and that custom unit I run now are just fine for my street driving. But, I don't tow.
I would give them a call and talk about what you plan on doing with your truck. With that, they can offer what's best for your application.
With you towing, I'd be concerned about the lessening of torque multiplication with a too tight converter.

You can tow and dd with it no problem. And as far as where to get it specriteconverters.com I think it's $795 for the steal stator converter.

Dar, I can't speak for Cole, but in my experience, both the off-the-shelf version and that custom unit I run now are just fine for my street driving. But, I don't tow.
I would give them a call and talk about what you plan on doing with your truck. With that, they can offer what's best for your application.
With you towing, I'd be concerned about the lessening of torque multiplication with a too tight converter.

lessening of torque multiplication?? would it be more ?? i need a lesson in fluid transfer.

school me. i thought having a "tighter" would be more "coupling" thus loering the stall at the same time.the only downfall would be so tight that the engine would "load" so much that the turbo would take longer to spool.

how does having a tighter convertor effect towing?
my truck tows 80% of the time.

I believe dtt used specrite converters. I've read they use the same Borg Warner aluminum stater, steel stater and I've also come across a thread showing that dtt's off the shelf single disc lockup is the same part # as some vendors use for spec rite converters and posssibly trans star sells the same one as well. I'm sure many of the vendors use the same converters or atleast the same parts then they put them together them selves, maybe a couple put some little differences into their product.