Detroit 6v53

JCampbell1180

I recently came up on a few 6v53's and was considering dropping one into my '77 C30, and my Dad wants to put one in his '86 C30.

Anybody have and ideas, advice, encouragement, or otherwise?

I'm in SoCal, so if any California locals are on here and savvy about the legality and rules of this type of swap, I'd me much obliged if they could pass along some wisdom.

I recently came up on a few 6v53's and was considering dropping one into my '77 C30, and my Dad wants to put one in his '86 C30.

Anybody have and ideas, advice, encouragement, or otherwise?

I'm in SoCal, so if any California locals are on here and savvy about the legality and rules of this type of swap, I'd me much obliged if they could pass along some wisdom.

talk to diesel doug he`s with the ddra or www.diesel team.com thats what he runs and it does real well :tree:

Doug Dorring has run mid 8's in his altered racer- 6V53(Aluminum version) with two Aluminum 3 cylinder heads from a 353 (3cylinder) with twins. Sounds absolutely badazz.....

I'm not necessarily interested in the swap from the competitive angle, more of a daily driver type set up. By legalities, I mean emission laws in California.

From what I hear, you're ok as long as the truck already had a diesel. If not, then you will need to fill out some forms at the DMV. The title has to be changed from gas to diesel, and some other papers(form 501, or 505, or something along there). Lastly, a CHP guy that works at the DMV checks your engine to make sure the emissions sticker says it's for highway use. That's what I gather, because I'm going to go thru this with my Super Duty that used to be a gasser 5.4 litre, and I'm putting in a DT466 Kornbinder.

I think some of the new rules our laws coming out in ca.in say that a truck under like 8600 gvw our somthing like that might have to met emision laws...I think i read this in the diesel power mag

The new laws apply to vehicles with gross weight over 14,000. Our company deals with CA emissions and this comes straight from CARB.

JCampbell1180, I would like to buy one of those 6V53s if you still have one.

im swapping a 6V53T/Allison 5 speed into my 6.2 suburban when the motor goes bad.......