Detroit Locker holding up?

skidmann

skidmann
Has anyone had trouble with Detroit lockers holding up in there pullers? So of the higher HP 12v pullers I have talked to have told me the only thing that holds up in a Dana 80 is a leaded or welded carrier. What do you think?:blahblah1:

In order from strong to weak, here are the differentials as follows: spool, Detroit locker, arb locker, mini-spool... Please don't weld. It's not if it will break. It is when will it break.

In order from strong to weak, here are the differentials as follows: spool, Detroit locker, arb locker, mini-spool... Please don't weld. It's not if it will break. It is when will it break.
I do not agree with that.

IMHO
1: Spool
2: Tig Welded
3: ARB
4: Mini spool
5: Detroit

It has been my experence that the ARB hold up much better than the Detroit. Another bummer about the Detroit is what happens when you break an axle shaft running one. It will wipe the Detroit and most likey the other axle shaft. IMHO for a truck that see street use the ARB is the way to go.

Welding if done correctly(ie, Cleaned, machined, preheat, TIG welded, and controled cooling) is fine. But you most do it correctly. By the time you get through with all the prep work your thinking a spool is not really that much $$$ after all.

I run a spooled rear and TIG welded front. Works just fine.

I would never get another Detroit Locker for pulling. Like said above they break. We have two trucks that are running the Detroit Tru-Trac and they have never broken, plus they are very streetable.

I agree with Johnboy's list. Welding is great if it is done right.

-Tom

I was told that my detroit truetrac would not hold up sled pulling. However I ran it for about 75+ hooks and it was the only part of my rear end that did not break. I broke the ring and pinion, 1 stock axle, and twisted a set of 35spline SCS axles and the truetrac is still in great shape.

Thanx for the responses. I guess the opinions are all across the board on this one. I have heard a few negative things about Detroits. Some have told me ARBs won't hold up either. I have run a open welded carrier and now am running a leaded posi carrier. The welded one never broke but I switched to 4.10s so it came out of the truck. The front carrier is welded and still in the truck on it's second year of pulling.
I would just like to run it on the street occasionally so am trying to figure out the best option.

Has anyone had trouble with Detroit lockers holding up in there pullers? So of the higher HP 12v pullers I have talked to have told me the only thing that holds up in a Dana 80 is a leaded or welded carrier. What do you think?:blahblah1:

Ask David Dungeon.....I think he went through about 5 of them in the past two years?

Had one in my puller for about 2-3 yrs now....now problem yet but I'm only a single wheel and always ran a/t style tires until this year.

Weld it up!!!!!

Pics-o-stuff013-1.jpg

Pics-o-stuff014.jpg

Looks like truetrac or arb is the direction I'm heading in the future. You can get both in 37 splines.:rockwoot:

Detroit held fine in my truck until I broke axles.

I currently run a Detroit in the 2.6 truck and a Scheid welded carrier in my 3.0 truck.

Is anyone running a powertrax insert. The kind that Richmond gear makes? According to Randy's r&p website they cant handle big tire or horsepower.

ya and they don't make them for anything with a 4 pinion posi unit.. only carriers with one cross pin... they definitely arn't super strong.