Detroit Turbo Help

Thekid760

I'm not sure where to post this, but this seemed to be the best forum.

I'm looking at purchasing a Garrett turbo from a detroit, but the guy doesnt have much info on it and I'm having trouble finding any. So any help would be appreciated.

I know it's off of a Detroit diesel, but I dont know the exact application
P/N: 471078-2
S/N: 5369-03
Compressor A/R.81, Exhaust A/R 1.32 has a t6 flange and a 5" v band exhaust, 5.5" compressor inlet, 3.5" compressor outlet.

2011-01-15153719.jpg

2011-01-15153839.jpg

2011-01-15153755.jpg

Thanks everyone. :charger:

Looks very similar to the PBK (phat bastard killer). Not sure what the garrett part number is..

Interesting, I've never heard of the PBK but after some research, it does look very much like it.

How much could I sell that for because it is way to big for what I need.

No idea on value. Looks like the compressor wheel would have to replaced with a bigger one to be useful in a pickup IMO.

What do you mean? I was originally thinking this would be good for the low pressure turbo on a set of twins, but am now thinking it's too big.

It would work in a compound kit if you were after 1000+ hp after a compressor wheel swap, otherwise yes its too big.

Couple things:

1) I can't find anything that puts this part number associated to a Detroit, and I think I'm looking at a pretty exhaustive list. To not have the Garrett p/n show up in a Google search means it's not a common piece. If you measured the wheels' inducers and exducers, it might help me ballpark it for you.

2) If you Google it, it's listed as a "TA91" for a "PCM" engine....no idea what that is.

3) Older OEM chargers are often over-turbined and under-compressored compared to a "performance" charger for a pickup engine. They are meant to run low boost, zero backpressure, and run for infinity with high reliability....like on a generator set or rock truck or dragline or whatnot. It's a very clean piece and looks great, but there aren't a whole lot of these that work well on pickup engine that runs under a totally different set of circumstances than what that one was designed for.

What you have looks like a GT55-class (or larger) turbine mated to a GT42-ish compressor.

Last edited:
Couple things:

1) I can't find anything that puts this part number associated to a Detroit, and I think I'm looking at a pretty exhaustive list. To not have the Garrett p/n show up in a Google search means it's not a common piece. If you measured the wheels' inducers and exducers, it might help me ballpark it for you.

2) If you Google it, it's listed as a "TA91" for a "PCM" engine....no idea what that is.

3) Older OEM chargers are often over-turbined and under-compressored compared to a "performance" charger for a pickup engine. They are meant to run low boost, zero backpressure, and run for infinity with high reliability....like on a generator set or rock truck or dragline or whatnot. It's a very clean piece and looks great, but there aren't a whole lot of these that work well on pickup engine that runs under a totally different set of circumstances than what that one was designed for.

What you have looks like a GT55-class (or larger) turbine mated to a GT42-ish compressor.

The guy I'm talking to said it was off of a detroit, but you know how that goes...

So I'm thinking that even for a cheap price this won't be good for me because it'd be better to just buy the right turbo to begin with for compounding.

That's a turbo off a series 60 detroit, put it on craigslist and somebody with trucks will probably buy it. One that clean would bring $1000 around here, looks like a fresh rebuild.

tmf55 came on the older Detroit s and not the best in the world. I bought one thinking it was a gt42

That's a turbo off a series 60 detroit, put it on craigslist and somebody with trucks will probably buy it. One that clean would bring $1000 around here, looks like a fresh rebuild.

saying it's off of a 60 series detroit is like saying it's off of a B series Cummins...

Back