Did some major work to my trailer...

OH_Varmntr

I bought this 32' fifth wheel frankentrailer a few months ago as a beater trailer I will use to haul logs to my place to be cut up into firewood. It previously was a tri-axle 32' deck that appears to have been joined to a fifth wheel trailer front deck. The guy cut 8' off the back of the main deck and removed the rear axle out of the tri-axle setup. I had quite a plan for it and now it's finally coming together.

Now it's a 24' main deck with 8' over the hitch, tandem 5200# single wheel axles with 4" drop hubs. I installed 4" drop leaf hangers and relocated the axles forward nearly 3' in order to relieve the hitch of all that front weight and get the deck up higher. The deck still didn't clear the tires so I got 9" u-bolts and relocated the axles UNDER the leafs instead of OVER and had to make 1.5" spacers to get the deck clearance I desired.

Then I put new 4" c-channel perimeter and replaced a bunch of the crossmembers and perimeter supports with 2x2 1/4" angle iron. Then the flimsy thin decking was replaced with .186" steel decking. She's 94" outside to outside.

All I have yet is to rewire and install new lights. Maybe build some ramps.

Before. You can see how low it was. I blew the right front tire going to get it, so I have the spare on it.
4571f14b.jpg

882b6302.jpg

After
f9447ed4.jpg

08a95966.jpg

Thanks, I was hoping to get my tow mirrors today so I can see around the dang thing. I see nothing by trailer when I look back now.

Are you going to put the 3rd axle back under it? How much does the trailer weigh? ...3500 or so?

--Eric

Bed rail clearance looks pretty minimal, but if you aren't jumping ditches it looks like it will haul some wood.

How fancy do you plan on getting with the lighting?

Last edited:
Sorry it's been awhile!

lose the cheap tires before you start hauling with it.

I should have, but I didn't. Those are next on the list for it.

Are you going to put the 3rd axle back under it? How much does the trailer weigh? ...3500 or so?

--Eric

As it sits in the pics above, 4020lbs. In Ohio, anything over 4000lbs requires a title. Since I pretty much rebuilt the whole thing I don't have a title. So I did some more work to it so the top deck would clear my truck toolbox when turning sharply. Pics are below. Truck fully loaded with chainsaws, gear, extras, and empty trailer, it's 11800lbs.

How fancy do you plan on getting with the lighting?

Nothing too fancy. Reusing the old LED combo tail-turn lights. Running all new wiring to the brakes, new lights, new junction box, new pigtail and new breakaway box.

Like said above, I ended up modifying the front deck to clear my toolbox in the bed when I turn sharply. I had some 6" c-channel so I bobbed the top deck. Once I did that and cut off the old stake pockets, it cleared the scales and I got my plates.

Bobbing in process.
IMAG0136_zps0241aa4d.jpg

Bobbing completed.
IMAG0294_zps605f8b82.jpg

Lights all wired up.
IMAG0295_zps398a3e8c.jpg

Added stake pockets and stakes.
IMAG0343_zps92cd0fab.jpg

All loaded with firewood logs.
IMAG0359.jpg

Back