Diesel modifications for the newbie?

ogrer

Is there a thread set, one can read, to get started in diesel modifications? I am new to diesels and this forum. Are there threads already started?

Gassers are not the problem, I just do not know where to even start asking the right questions for diesel.
I have time before the warranty is run down, then I would like to play with mine. Before that I have some learning to do.

Where to begin?:huh::
Bob

Choose the make and model diesel you are interested in and locate the forums for those and POST AWAY!!!

What Jeff said, there are TONS of guys on here who can give you good advice on how to go from mild, to wild with your ride. Two pieces of advice though, be specific on your truck, model year and even mid year changes can make life easy or difficult. SUPPORT THE POWER!!! all the motor in the world is no good if the tranny can't take it (cough, cough, TIMMY! LOL ).

That said post away, we be gooooood at spending yo' money :evil

Yes....do the tranny if nothing else...or you will kill it like me LOL

ABSOLUTLY!! Build your trans first, it will be money well spent.
Tim and I could both give you some stories, I'm sure there are others as well.
You wont enjoy it as much but it will pay huge divadens in the future.

Next step or first step will be the fuel system then you can go nuts.

dan

I know the tranny is said to be weak, what is really wrong with it?

What do you have to do to it to make it better?

Bob

Okay, first step Bob, go to User CP and fill out your sig line so we know what you have, unless the guys know that we can't help you very much.

Once you get your sig filled out, just find the right tech area and ask away :D

ogrer said:
I know the tranny is said to be weak, what is really wrong with it?

What do you have to do to it to make it better?

Bob

Either replace the whole thing with a upgraded unit depending on the current miles (go to User CP and fill out your sig).
you can depending on the current condition of your trans get a valve body and converter and run it to say 450 or so hp, some have been running 550+ doing this but depending on how you drive it etc will determine how it will last.

dan

Sig. is updated, not many miles on it.
DSC00051.jpg

Bob

I have heard about black boxes, fuel econ. power changes etc. ...But transmission first correct.
What other information should I include?
Bob

Last edited:
Well, yes and no, depends on if you are going to go mild, or wild :evil An aftermarket intake, exhuast and a mild box like the Edge EZ and your tranny will live for quite a while, at least long enough for the truck to get out of warranty so you can REALLY play with it :evil :evil

Add anything like a box and the way dodge is going you wont have a warrenty. So if you want to keep your warrenty talk with your dealer and see what you can get by with or bomb away and consider yourself your own warrenty station.

my stock tranny made it 38000 miles with 571rwhp. no boosted launches though,had to drive it smart. had dusty at hts build tranny and picked up 1 sec. in 1/4 mile! should have done it first!