diesel rat rod

why not

hey guys im trying to put a rat rod together. currently i have a 1989 chevy 1500 frame. i just purchased a 1994 ram 2500 with a cummins. im trying to put the cummins in the chevy frame!! any suggestions on how to do this? the rest of the truck will be a 1953 b model mack cab and a older ford or chevy box. i only have till september to do this because its entered in the adirondack nationals in lake george ny. any and all help/critisism is appreciated

nothing really wrong with the dodge frame its just 4 wheel drive. i actually have the whole truck but i also have the chevy frame thanks 4 replying

Since you are going with a Mack cab what about using the dodge 4x4 chassis and turning it into a dually that is lowered with active 4x4. Be a sweet hauler and cruiser with some air bags. Or are you geared more towards the complete rat rod ride?

thanks wrencher but im kinda looking for that traditional rat rod look like they did back in the day,just using stuff laying around to put something together. although nothings etched in stone. i guess what im asking is if the chevy frame will support the weight,power,and torque of the cummins. i plan to "z" and narrow the rear frame for a narrowed 12 bolt gm rearend.

no problem.you can do it.the last or2nd last mag.diesel power. has cummings swap into anything.i am in a real special hurry now got to go to work ill try to pm you with more info later on

I've seen 6bt's in 2x3 mild steel tube frames in rat rods and the owners say they handled fine. I think your half ton chassis will work for what you want to do. I wouldn't worry too much. Just set the engine back a little in the chassis to help move the weight on the front suspension and see how your cab fits on there.

If it is just a cruiser with minimal mods to the engine it should live. If not then it could be built to handle the hp/tq. Another thing that will help him is that this more than likely won't be as heavy as a full size pick up and that will be to his favor.

thanks everyone for the input! I'm trying to get it mocked up this week and hope to post some pics by the weekend.

ok so we just cut the frame mounts (and some of the frame) off the Dodge donor truck and bolted them back on the Cummins. Its between the frame rails but still hooked to the hoist. Its a tight fit but I think with a little fabrication its gonna work. Pics to follow....

We have a Dakota 2wd rolling chassis waiting for room in the shop for one of my 46 Dodge's.

Post pics of your mock up progress!

sorry to everyone who helped me with this project. things arent going as planned,have a family issue at the moment so the rod has ben put on hold. fortunatly things should be back on track in another few days. please dont give up on me. I will post pics as soon as I feel like I've done enough progress to feel proud.

Back