Diesel Timing light experience?

Blackbumper

Could be worse!
Anyone have any experience with one of the converters that clamp on the line and you hook a standard timing light to? I set my timing yesterday at 32 via the port closure method and with the timing light it shows I am at 28 with the clamp at the injector and 29 at the pump end of the line. Just curious how close these things are. It cam off the Matco truck not sure of the actual model.

I suppose port closure would give you the amount of timing when it just starts to compress the fuel, now the fuel has to move the DV up to clear the shoulder, bring the injector up to the pop pressure and swells the injection line a small amount just before it pops the injector. So maybe all of this accounts for 3 degrees? (as compared to port closure)

I've always been curious if a DV change would affect the timing sensed at the injector?

I have a light and comparing timing set by dial indicator the light reads about 5-6 less on a 215 pump and 3-4 on a 160. I think the light senses when the injection ends more than when it starts.

I have been told that the timing lights are effected by the size of the injection line and type of material that it is made of. It makes sense to me because the light is looking for expansion in the line so the material and its thickness would effect that.

I have been told that the timing lights are effected by the size of the injection line and type of material that it is made of. It makes sense to me because the light is looking for expansion in the line so the material and its thickness would effect that.

I don't have any experience with one, but that is the only way that I can figure out that they would work. Because of that, it would seem that there would be an awful lot of variables such as what you have mentioned that would lead to inconsistent trigger points for a timing light.

Several people with timing light experience have told me that the light method will indicate that the timing is more retarded than it actually is. Take that FWIW.

Not just the timing light, the timing itself would be delayed with larger lines.

5150ram,

I doubt it is sensing when the injection ends because the injection occurs over a much larger range than a few degrees. Even on a 13mm with a quick rate cam, the delivery length is greater than that.

Just an update to this thread... I picked up a timing light kit and it indeed read much less than the port closure method. It confirmed that I did need to advance my timing a good bit...

There are alot of factors that will affect your timing that are downstream of the closing of the port. Remember to account for all these factors when making changes...

I have oneand have messed with it alot. There are factors of timing: pop off presure,dvs and line size. With my 160 pump with 024s i would loose 3* with 191s I would loose 8* With a 215 pump and 191s I gain 3*. I noticed when I rev it up timing advances, with a 160 it would retard.

I have oneand have messed with it alot. There are factors of timing: pop off presure,dvs and line size. With my 160 pump with 024s i would loose 3* with 191s I would loose 8* With a 215 pump and 191s I gain 3*. I noticed when I rev it up timing advances, with a 160 it would retard.

would that be due to the helix in the plungers?

Chevycummins, I really dont know.

darn well maybe someone else will know. i know that i have a 3mm deep notch cut in the top of my plungers and makes it a PITA to set the timing by plunger depth.

Does any one have a link or know where to find these adapters or timing light sets for our trucks?

Back