Diff. on the wrong side!!!

nborga87

Poor Boy Puller
So im wanting to but put a nv4500 in my 93. My main question that i havent been able to find out is if i get a 241 what do i do about the rear being on the opposite side on the 1st gen? The truck is a manual already, are the hydraulics different? Also I figure ill need the plate on the back of the engine that the trans bolts to, the transmission, the transfer case, drive shafts modified, and make up some kinda cross member. Is there anything I'm missing? Any input from someone whos familiar with these swap is appreciated.

thanks
nick

If you still want to use your leaf spring setup, you may be able to use a d-60 out of a Ford. Not sure if the spring perches are in the same location, but the center section is on the drivers side.

Thats a good point. I have a d 60 housing out of a ford ill have to measure the spring perches. I wonder if the axles, differential, hubs, brakes, and all that stuff would work on the ford housing.

the problems with that is the output shafts are week on the 205 and im trying to get rid of the weak drivetrain components by putting the 4500 in.

I dont know, thats what im trying to figure out. Does anyone know for sure if you can mod the 241?

Ok just making sure that you knew that was an option. I would assume that you can mod a 241 to be run upside down just like several have with the 271's. If you are going through the trouble of finding a new t-case and modding it I would reccomend getting a 271, much stronger than a 241. I have pictures in another thread about modifying the pickup in order to run the t-case upside down.

Ford axle spring spacing is way different. Be alot easier to just use a different t-case...

well i liked to just go straight to a 271. Can you put a link to that thread of yours rockjeep?

ok perfect thanks! nothin to it haha. i take it that grey first gen is yours?

what has to be done to the 241 to run it upside down? Is it similar to this?

The truck is my brothers, I did the work on the t-case though. I would assume something very similar could be done. Just move the location of the fluid pickup and the vent tube and you should be good to go. Also had to oblong two of the mounting holes in the back of the trans because the bolt pattern is not symmetrical.

You could probably get billet shafts for said NP 205..... I didn't know they were a weak point. Always thought the 205 was built like a brick $#!^ House, especially after rebuilding mine!

You could probably get billet shafts for said NP 205..... I didn't know they were a weak point. Always thought the 205 was built like a brick $#!^ House, especially after rebuilding mine!

There is a lot more that will need upgrading in them besides just the shafts. It will be cheaper and easier to go to a 271 in a dedicated puller or race truck, and it will be lighter and stronger.

Full billet 205 still go boom.

If you get a Super duty D60 the driver spring perch is cast into the housing. Not sure how it lines up though.

Anyone here ever messed with the '88-'93 241D from the gasser trucks?
It's passenger's side drop and I believe the majority of the internals from the later DLD/DHD cases "might" work.

In stock form it's a 23 spline input, haven't counted mine to see on the output, though.

Mark.