difference between cr blocks dodge and med duty trucks

kruisecontrol

i have a 05 freightliner mt45 step van with a 5.9 cr engine rear geartrain ,im wondering if the blocks are the same as the dodge ,and if i can convert it to front geartrain by swapping a crank and a cam ?

wow I must have bin drunk when I read this!!!!!!!!!!!... and no you cant comvert them..

No worries - might as well be drinking if you're posting... :Cheer:

I would think one reason would be the water pump would be machined on the back of the block insted of the front..

Not the ones I have seen. There are still belt driven accessories on the front. The CR's I had seen the casting numbers were the same. There were some port differences and on the back there was an oil galley supply to feed the geartrain. The drawback is buying parts, you will have to find a crank, and getting all of the fittings. It would be easier and probably cheaper to find a CR that needs rebuilt. So unless they are given you the engine, I wouldn't use that block.

thanks for the input guys , what i have is a 2004 dodge engine that dropped a valve and destroyed a piston, block the head ,injector ,and i have this rear geartrain engine sitting there , so if the blocks are the same i rather plug the oil galley and reuse my old crank /cam than drop 5k on a used engine.

thanks

There are two CR blocks for cheap on e-bay right NOW!!! and I have a head
available! Let me know!!