Differences in '89 to '94-'98?

kleann

VP44 pwr
Ive got a 1980's 12 valve 160 hp off of a generator. We want to build this 12 valve instead of our 53 block 24 valve. What differences are there in the 89 engine to the 94-98...besides the injection pump, front case? Anything internally?

Thanks. for any info!

If I remember correctly the Cummins B-series production start from 1986, so there is no 1980 Cummins 5.9 B-series engines

According to Wikipedia ,the production stat at 1984:

copy/paste

.............This engine started life in 1984 as an agricultural engine, for use in Case agricultural equipment. It was produced in a joint venture between Cummins Engine Corp. and Case - called Consolidated Diesel Corp. After 1989, this engine was also used in the Dennis Dart midibus, as well as in light to medium sized commercial trucks and buses.

According to Wikipedia ,the production stat at 1984:

copy/paste

.............This engine started life in 1984 as an agricultural engine, for use in Case agricultural equipment. It was produced in a joint venture between Cummins Engine Corp. and Case - called Consolidated Diesel Corp. After 1989, this engine was also used in the Dennis Dart midibus, as well as in light to medium sized commercial trucks and buses.

I think he just meant in the 80's decade so 89 I believe is what he was talking about not the exact year of 1980.

Ive got a 1980's 12 valve 160 hp off of a generator. We want to build this 12 valve instead of our 53 block 24 valve. What differences are there in the 89 engine to the 94-98...besides the injection pump, front case? Anything internally?

Thanks. for any info!

Thought you wanted to answer to what you asked my bad:hehe:

Different pistons (spray angle). Block doesn't have as much webbing. Injector holes (in the head) are larger in the 89.

It is possibly an '87 model. I'm thinking that whatever year they started('84?) to '90 would basically be the same non intercooled engine. Will 2nd gen 12 valve injectors fit in the head? If nothing else we would like to use the block to replace our cracked 53 block. Does anyone know if they will interchange?

Thanks for the help guys!

I also wanted to add that it isn't a ve pump. Anyone know what other what they used? I think it said vasco on it maybe.

Injectors won't fit.

Actually there is a sleeve that allows us to run the 7mm nozzle in the older head with 9mm nozzle bore. Or you could just run the 9mm nozzles.

The pistons are different as far as the skirts go. The first generation had a narrow pin with a smaller skirt area than the 93+. No biggy.

Block wise you could use the old 12v one for your 24V build.

Right now I think we'll just use the block. Will we have to worry about the less webbing on the block? As far as strength. In the future I'm hoping for high power. Maybe around 800+ hp.

Also roachie was saying that we might have to get some adapters for oil sensors.....will I have to do that on the 1st gen block? And different motor mount bolts.