DLD to DHD rear driveshaft ??'s

Ridemywideglide

Diesel NON-Pro
I've finally got the Cummins and NV4500 to swap in to my truck, and have some drive shaft questions..

It's currently a '96 V10 Auto 4x4 (dld), and I have a 5spd with a DHD to put in it..

Donor truck was a reg cab with 1 piece rear shaft, mine is eclb with 2 piece. No use to me, so I'm looking at one at a salvage yard nearby, and it's listed as a "standard duty" rear shaft...
Is this going to usable with just swapping the front yoke off the DHD shaft to it?
Any other differences? Salvage yard is 180 miles away, so it's not just a run over and check deal.
The donor truck shaft is much larger diameter than the one behind my V10, I would assume any diesel shaft would be the larger diameter as well. ??

It's my DD so I'm trying to have all my ducks in a row before taking it apart. Can't haul very big parts on the Harley if I find myself stuck.

Thanks
Brad

Not sure if it helps any, but I had a dhd t-case in my 95 47rh Rclb truck, and my buddy has a dld in a 95 47rh Rclb truck. My driveshaft was about 2 inches shorter than his, so in our case their was a difference in driveshafts based on the transfer case

Good chances are your V10 have D70U and the donor truck have D80.

The D80 have longer (and huge!) pinion which also will shortens the driveshaft length too.

My suggest to you is to find a local driveshaft shop and set up an appointment for your drveshaft mods, let say on Monday. Over the weekend you do the swap, then find something to cap the rear output to keep the oil in and drive the truck in 4x4, as FWD to the driveshaft shop so they can do their thing, either shorten or retube your original driveshaft.

I'm not sure about V10 but on 2nd gen dodge diesels they use 1410 joints.

My 96 auto had a dld. Swapped to a dhd and the driveshaft barley fits into the yolk. You have to put the truck in neutral and roll the U joint into the yolk on the axle. Been like that for yes now but im lowering the truck so it's gonna get shortened.

Well in my haste, I made the assumption ( I know) that it was a DLD behind my V10 auto. It actually turned out to be a DHD.. Bonus..

So in the end, the 5 speed/DHD ended up being about 1 inch shorter overall than the auto/DHD.

I ended up using the original skinny gas 2 piece drive line, front to rear, as it slid into the transfer case about 4.5 inches originally, and just shy of 3.5 inches after the swap.

I'll find a diesel shaft from a boneyard, but it's driving just fine for now. I'm sure when the 12v gets in there that I'll make it cry.
Must say that I'm a bit disappointed in the V10. Obviously it runs much better than it did with my slipping slush-box, but it's a far cry from the Cummins. It's also pushing a 3.55 D70 LS rear end, so the mileage is pretty good for a V10. Would probably be more impressive with a 4.11.

If anyone needs (or knows someone who does) a good V10, message me. I'm about a month away (depending on Seth's turn-around time) from having the 12v ready to go in, and I have no other use for the V10.

Last edited: