Do 6 speeds have 11.50 AAM axles?

skidmann

skidmann
My question is do all six speeds get upgraded axles (11.50 ring gears)? Or do you have to get a 1 ton (3500) or order it that way to get the bigger ring gear? I know in the older trucks you got a Dana 80 if you got a manual but in the 2003+ trucks I didn't know if they did that or not.

Some early '03 trucks have a 10.5" ring gear but I'm fairly sure they were only in the automatic 2500s. I'm not sure of manufacture dates where that changed, however it is very easy to recognize the difference between the axle housings...3.5" axle tubes on the 10.5" vs. 4" axle tubes on the 11.5"...the cast housing is also noticeably different.

Last edited:
All the trucks that I've seen the 10.5s in were 250hp rated...probably built late '02.

OK. Thanx for the quick responses. So, I guess what you all are telling me is it's going to be pretty hard to find a CR with a 10.5 ring gear. Even in the 2500s.

OK. Thanx for the quick responses. So, I guess what you all are telling me is it's going to be pretty hard to find a CR with a 10.5 ring gear. Even in the 2500s.

So you're actually looking for a 10.5" axle truck?

Sorry my reply was misleading. No I don't want a 10.5 truck. I just mean that it would be hard for me to screw up and buy a 10.5 truck because there aren't many out there, unless its a hemi.

Be aware that the center section changed on the later CRs - go by the axle tube O.D. (~3.935") so you aren't misled.

Easiest way to see the difference is to look at a few out on the shop floor next to each other... number & location of upper gusseting, cover perimeter, housing width (minor), etc..

So I'm assuming the later housings are weaker? Let me ask a better question: If I'm going to buy a CR to sled pull with what years/ models have the best/ strongerst rears for it?

Why would you assume that?

Because it seems like every "advancement" that OEM manufactures make is just a nice way to say "we are cuting costs"! If I'm wrong please inform me otherwise.

Regardless if the housing weaker or not your not going to hurt the internals and there isnt going to be a difference in performance from one year to the next. They are stout rearends.

I believe there are two ribs that run over the top side of the axle on the later 11.5. I know my 07 didnt have them but i got one that was outa an 07 6.7 truck and it had the extra rib on it

I believe there are two ribs that run over the top side of the axle on the later 11.5. I know my 07 didnt have them but i got one that was outa an 07 6.7 truck and it had the extra rib on it

Ok thanx for the info. Just seems like some people on here are always out to be a smart:shake: But your info was helpful. Maybe it's just a different axle in the 6.7s? Do you know if one is stronger than another?
I just want to make sure it's not weaker.