Do i need a new cam if i turn 5k RPM

Light It Up

What can a stock 24v cam handle? Should i get a diff cam if i plan to trun 5k rpm? THanks

yes you need a came with a bolt on gear retainer for high rpms and turning bigger p-pumps. i mean its not a requirement but its highly recommended

ok wich one do you recommend? I looked at the hamilton/colt billet bick stick i thin is what it was. Would somethin like that be what i want?

big stick is a great cam, i have it also. get it with the bolt on gear option.

My personal opinion, if your going to the trouble of putting in a 5000 rpm cam to turn a big P-pump - do a true billet, they don't break.

If your going to run 5000 rpms , then you will realize a huge benefit, form running more cam timing event then the stock profile . If your running a CR then a cast cam with the straight cut gears will work . The CR straight cut gears do not cause forward and back thrust , like the 12 and 24 valve beveled gears . This is the primary reason for the bolt on retainer . If your running a VP pump , then a bolt on retainer is not really necessary , but would be a good inexpensive insurance . If you going to run a p pump especially a larger pump then a bolt on retainer is a absolute necessity You can still run a cast cam as long as you have, use the bolt on retainers. Now when you get up to the really big pumps and lots of RPM, and really big cam grinds , you really need 8620 billet steel cam . Big pumps require 60 to 100 hp just to turn , and the harmonic is devastating to the entire gear train

This was the reason to have all of my cast billet , UGLs have the front of the cam drilled and taped for t the bolt on retainer .
I have a big grind that works well with that combination it’s a 188 duration .335 lobe lift 215 duration .305 lobe lift on a 114 installed in a 106 this cam will fit with out cutting pistons , and really moves some air . This cam is fairly aggressive , and because of the fact that it opens the valve .450 will require a dual spring .

Anything over 4k you better flycut the pistons, just added insurance. You will slap a piston, ask Muddin dude.

After my pump and gear housing and gear ive got $2500 to put into cam,oringed head,studs,injector lines,5k gov,dvs and anything else i need. What about new lifters???

Smokincummins, I have seen 3 or 4 break. They are typically better but not a 100% full proof.

If a stock 24v is drilled and tapped for the bolt on retainer, they will do just fine at 5k. The problem is that the stock cam profile doesn't flow much air at that high of an RPM.

Not to disagree with Doc Hogue, but If you would post up a little more info about your truck, and its intended uses, it would be a little easier to point you in the right direction. A pullin cam is a lot different than a street cam and still different for a drag racer...................

Goodluck with the buildup

Zach Hamilton

01 24v 6speed 66 turbo 250hp sticks. Truck will be pulled on the weekends and mabey driven to town now and again. Ive got the truck apart so i want to put the stuff in now so i dnt have to do it a month from now when i decide i need it.

You wont need 5k RPM or make good use of it with a 66mm turbo. 4k rpm or a touch more, would be plenty for a daily driver/sled puller in the 2.6 class. You need a pretty big turbo to move the air you need to make power at 5k RPM.

Eric

I still need a cam though to turn 4k right? Or will my stock cam be fine for that amount of RPM? Thanks