Do these EGTs sound right?

texascadillac42

04 F350. Just got a pyro installed the other day and did some moderately heavy towing with it yesterday. Truck weighs around 8,000, empty trailer is 7,000 lbs. Ambient air temp was around 15 degrees. Running unloaded at 65-70mph, EGTs were 600-700 degrees depending on hills and wind.

After adding a load, the GCW was 30,300 lbs. Running at 60-65mph, EGTs were around 800, and would get to 950 or so after taking off from a light, on a hill, then cool back to 800-850.

Pyro indicates exhaust temps of 300 or so while idling, maybe a little bit higher with high idle kicked on. Probe is located in drivers side manifold.

Do these temps seem right? This is the first experience I have with a pyro on a 6.0L and they seem pretty low compared to other diesels I have dealt with.

Thanks.

What kind of mods do you have on the truck? Everything you do or don't have done would affect the EGT numbers you're seeing. $.02

:bang Yea, thats what I get for multi tasking while making this post..... that would definitely make a difference

4" straight exhaust and a tow tune from Spartan are the only 2 performance things done to the truck.

Thats what I was thinking. I wasnt into it too hard, and the ambient air temp was pretty cold, but those temps still seem cool to me. I am basically wondering if the pyro is out of whack....

It that is all the EGT's were, you are doing something right. The ambient temp certainly plays a roll in that, but that's really good for that much weight.

I will try running it unloaded with a hotter setting from SDT and see what the pyro reads on a WOT run.

A good rule of thumb, don't let the EGT's go above 1200 degrees and try to keep it as cool as possible.

Yea, that is what I have always followed with my own truck, and previous trucks I have owned.... and compared to those trucks, this one was ran extremely cool.

Back