Do we really need

Billyram

the manifold grid heater in the south on a cr?
I know I will soon be needing to replace the batterys. They are the ones that came in the truck, 4 yrs old and don't spin the starter like they use to. I was thinking the grid heaters pull as much if not more than the starter and if disconnected 1 battery would be enough. It seldom gets to the teens arround here.

Billyram said:
the manifold grid heater in the south on a cr?
I know I will soon be needing to replace the batterys. They are the ones that came in the truck, 4 yrs old and don't spin the starter like they use to. I was thinking the grid heaters pull as much if not more than the starter and if disconnected 1 battery would be enough. It seldom gets to the teens arround here.
Wade lives in maryland and still runs one battery, with the grids still opperating like they should. Now the really cold days it is harder to start, but it does fire up.
Grids, I think that they are good for start up only, to heat the intake air so cumbustion is better. So the answer is no i dont think you really need them.

it's been in the mid 20's over night around here and I don't seem to have any problem starting the truck, and it's a 12 valve, I think the common rail should start a bit easier then mine in the cold. It'd still be nice to plug it in on really cold nights though to keep the block warm. So i'd say ditch the battery.

Well the cold snap just about did in my batterys. The passenger side battery was bad and pulling down the other one. Now with $190 worth of new batterys every thing is back to normal including the belt chirp I haven't been hearing for a while. The alt must not have to work as hard and lets the egts cool down quicker.

Lucky Jeff said:
it's been in the mid 20's over night around here and I don't seem to have any problem starting the truck, and it's a 12 valve, I think the common rail should start a bit easier then mine in the cold. It'd still be nice to plug it in on really cold nights though to keep the block warm. So i'd say ditch the battery.

Is that with the truck plugged in at night? My truck took a good bit of cranking this morning and it was maybe 20 outside.

unplugged I fired mine up this morning with one battery and the outside temps were around 16 degrees and no grid heater. It definitely left me know it didn't like it. LOL I opted to plug in tonight since it is going down to 8 degrees tonight. :D

I've been running one battery for the last 9 months when I jetted the grid heater, and so far no cold start problems. Even on some COLD Oklahoma mornings.

It got in the upper 20's here last night and my wait to start light was on for a while this morning. I know my truck hates starting without the grid heaters if it's below 60* outside. It'll do it but it *****es if I do it.

Well it was cold this morning " teens" and my truck jumped to life soon as I hit the key. No smoke or miss. Money well spent.

Mine seems to start fine down into the 20s so far and it has reduced compression and no grids. Ya she dont like it one bit but it sounds cool tryin to come to life.

drillpipe said:
I've been running one battery for the last 9 months when I jetted the grid heater, and so far no cold start problems. Even on some COLD Oklahoma mornings.

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Oh balls, that was good....LOL

-17 here last saturday morning...That, my friend, is cold.

My 06 Dodge didn't like starting at -3 up in Illinois last week...it was rough as hell. LOL
The 04 CR motor that's going in my Ford won't have the grid heater in it...hopefully the dual Blue top Optima's will have enough juice to get her fired.