does a 99 model dodge have problems w/ crackin the block?

250sprayboy06

when ever i went to buy this 99 1 ton, a couple of my friends told me that the 99 wasnt a good year to buy because the have a problem w/ the block cracking? so id like to no b4 i try to go bout puttin parts on this thang, do they know wut there talkin bout or are they full of **** an have no clue wut there talkin bout?

yes they do if you have the "53" block. i see alot of 99s that have the 53 block in them. i believe you tell by the ingine code that is on the driver side of the timing gear housing

They arent lying, the 99 models did have a crack prone "53" block, but not all 53 blocks were bad. Our pulling truck is a 99 with 160,000 on the clock and we beat on it 90% of the time with no problems.

You can find the numbers on the drivers side of the block just behind the power steering/vacume pump. they are tall letter/number serial number. You'll see them right behind the big wire harness. Just make sure there is no 53 in the serial number if I remember right its build code will be twards the end. Hope that helps

the 53 block can crack, if the truck has over 100,000 and it hasnt cracked yet, it probably wont

the 53 block can crack, if the truck has over 100,000 and it hasnt cracked yet, it probably wont

yeah, what he said

For what it is worth, I had to replace the block on a truck with a 180,000 miles. The crack started at the rear and went clear to the front. It was a '99 53 block. Stock truck, not abused.

Probably would be the key word in stang789's statement.

I agree!! it may crack, it may not.

I have 175k on my 53 block and make 800HP at 90 pounds of boost.
I started modding and abusing this motor at about 90k.

Bottom line...it's still a acrap shoot I guess.

Sorry, wasn't trying to kick anyone in the nuts. I was just saying if your luck is like mine, look out.

so best bet is to look at the number n make sure theres not a 53? well dont guess it really matters lol i already bought it. but i guess if it happens it happens lol. thanks anyways yall.

LMAO i spit pepsi on my laptop on the Tyler comment

Back