Does anyone think this is possible or has it been done?

Cumminspr513

I have an '03 Dodge Common Rail with some moderate work done to it but my fueling isnt what i want it to be. My question is would it be possibe for me to swap my p-pumped '01 24v in place of my Common Rail and still keep my worked 47RE...? Im looking at the fact that i have the pump for the fuel on that motor and it "sounds" like an easy cummins to cummins swap.

It is possible. There are controllers available to make that tranny work,,, but I would say that is alot of work,, it would be way easier, and less expensive to work with what you have... another thing to think about is a common rail is much more friendly as a daily drive due to dynamic timing... just a thought

I would love to have an 03-up truck with a 12 valve in it for my daily driver. But don't have a clue what it would take to do it.

I really dont think it would be too bad work wise. It cant be any harder than doing a cummins swap into a chevy or ford if anything it should be alot easier. As for the trans controller wouls i need that do to the fact that im looking all the electronics off the motor or is it because there will be a 24v/p-pumped instaed of the common rail?

As far as the tranny goes a 47 and 48 are almost identical, the solenoids are the same for Tc and od and I'd imagine the others are close if not identical. May have to use a different plug on your harness but short of that a 47 should go in place of a 48 easy as cake as far as electronics are concerned.

im not swappin out the trans, i plan on stayin with my built 47re and just droppin in the 24v

Now what about engine electronics? Im going to have to go out and look in a bit to see if there is going to be a problem there. Im just trying to figure what to do about the ECM and PCM

On a side note i personally would keep the cr and 48 but if you are set on doing this (rpms and mass fuel being the only reason I can see) I would use the p pumped motor you already have and sell the 47 and have the 48 built, jmho

Im going to have to see if it is the same as when the vp is removed off the 24v and replaced with the p-pump as compared to saying i was to take the CP3 off and replace that with the p-pump.

The more i look into it the more im being told to stick with what i have. Im just not liking the CP3

Oh ok I was confused and thought you had a 47 with the p pump motor and a 48 in the cr. Just keep the factory ECM and wire in what you need, apps and tach for starts.

I guess i look at it this way if i want more fuel with the p-pump it can be done on a realitivly small budget. As compared to the CP3 where im looking at running duals and thats alot of $$$$$$. That extra $$$ could be spent in another place.

yeah, i have the 47re in the common rail and want to take out the CR and replace it with the 24v Ppump

You can get a stage 2 or 3 cp3 for around a 1000 bucks.. you can go dual cp3's for not a bunch more ( I have seen used kits for sale all the time for 1000 to 1200) buy a second stock cp3 for 4 to 500 and there you go.. if that isnt enough fuel you have something pretty amazing going there

depending on what you want to do with the truck, IMO i would keep the cr. you can make ALOT of very street friendly horsepower with them. just keep at it and you'll get it figured out. if it is a dedicated pulling truck that never sees the street then i say yea. drop a 12v in it, ignore the dash cluster, and be done with it. but dont think that a cr cant compete with p pumps. its done all the time.

Well i think im convinced and am going to stay with the CR and get a larger CP3 and some other go fast parts. Now i have to see this p-pumped 24v.

Back