Does this sound bad to anyone else?

03CUMMINS18

Ducks
: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz1dSyQqKZA"]03 cummins bad idle - YouTube[/ame]

My truck didn't use to sound like this and it started somewhat recently, within the last 3,000 miles.
The idle sounds super choppy, like you can hear a knock through the exhaust but you can't hear any knock at the motor.
Truck still feels like it has plenty of power and pulls and drives great, just idles like crap.

Sent from a broken iPhone

Last edited:
Adjust your valve lash .010/.020 and report back.

Adjust your valve lash .010/.020 and report back.

I adjusted them to .08 & .18 and it didn't start after that, about a month after it started that. I'll have the valve lash checked again next week since I don't have the tools

I adjusted them to .08 & .18 and it didn't start after that, about a month after it started that. I'll have the valve lash checked again next week since I don't have the tools

if it didnt start with lash set at .08 and .18 then something wasnt done right. Im thinking TDC and BTDC were confused.

if it didnt start with lash set at .08 and .18 then something wasnt done right. Im thinking TDC and BTDC were confused.

Sorry for my ignorance. What is TDC and BTDC?
I thought that when we did the valve lash it'd stop my truck from loping so bad but it didn't have any effect. If I run opti-lube my truck won't lope on cold start, but I have this choppy idle. It might have been off and on right after the valve adjustment but not as prominent as it is now, which is all the time I'm at idle.

TDC=Top Dead Center

BTDC=Before Top Dead Center

Never hurts to double check your work or have a second set of eyes. I always paint the the 'TDC' mark a bright neon color so its easily seen to get into the 12 O'Clock position. Try .010/.020 and see if that helps.