*****down pipe problem*****

solostyle

OzoneKilla
I just put on a 5" silverline exhaust system and im having a problem getting the down pipe to make a "full" connection i guess. The clamp goes on fine but its not holding it tight enough. The turboe is making a loud whistle and when i "stall" the truck, black smoke comes from the clamp. I have taken it off a couple of times and put it back on but i still get it to be right.....any thoughts?

Is your clamp a v-band style? if so...just tighten the crap out of it...thats what I had to do on mine. I had the same problem when I went to an HX40 style downpipe. Wouldn't seal right unless you tighten the crap out of it...you might want to loosen all of the other clamps first so the pipe can move around a bit and maybe seat better.

CTD Express said:
Is your clamp a v-band style? if so...just tighten the crap out of it...thats what I had to do on mine. I had the same problem when I went to an HX40 style downpipe. Wouldn't seal right unless you tighten the crap out of it...you might want to loosen all of the other clamps first so the pipe can move around a bit and maybe seat better.

Agree with the above. I always snug the Downpipe first... install the rest of the system and then fight with it to make things fit. Then go tighten the chit out of the V-Band. If you don't keep it where it needs to be (the joint your having issues with) before you hang the rest of the exhaust you can have a hell of a time drawing it together when the hangers and rest of the system are in place... even if the stuff is loose. The V-Band can't drag the system forward.

Lot's of times the DP needs rotated a few degrees and everything falls into place also

CTD Express said:

I have my clamp so tight that it actually is closed completely. The ends are touching each other. Someone recommened a different clamp which looks like twice the width. They also said wrap it in foil before i clamp it...

Did you try loosening all of your other clamps an then tightening your dp? I've never heard of wrapping it in foil...but whatever works. the factory clamp should be sufficient.

at least your 5" DP doesn't hit your tranny dipstick mount, now that's annoying and cannot get it to stop haha.

Are you sure your exhaust is for an 04.5-07? They may have sent you an exhaust for an 03-04. The end of the down pipe is smaller.

the box says 04.5-07. Im gonna have to loosen what i can and try again....