Downloading Problems.

hillbilly06

Hillbilly
I just got the Smarty S-06 PoD from Toxic Diesel, and I'm having a hard time putting it on my computer. I was following the USB installation guide and when I try to enter the file path in searching for the best driver in a location it wont let me go anywhere. It tells me the location I specified doesn't exist. I was just wandering if anybody else had any problems and see what I can do to fix it. Thanks for the help.

Instructions for Downloading software for the S-04 or S-06 Smarty off the MADS Electronics web page.
Although these instructions were written with the S-04 and S-06 in mind, the procedure for obtaining software for the other models is similar, with exception of the S-03, where a little more reading is necessary to determine which file is right for your truck.

My hope is these instructions will be helpful in getting the files necessary to update your Smarty with the software available on the MADS website, using your computer.

Before you get started, it may be helpful if you create a folder on your computer and name it "Smarty".

Create a subfolder in the Smarty folder named Docs.

Note: I do not recommend changing the names of any of the files you download.

Visit Mads Electronics - Smarty - CaTCHER - Dodge Tuning - Home

At the top menu bar, Click on the "Downloads" tab.

Select the product you own and want to download for by clicking on the picture of it.

If you already have the current version of Adobe Reader the next step can be skipped.

Toward the bottom of the page, is a link to get Adobe Reader, if you don't have it.
Once you have Adobe Reader, I strongly recommend saving a copy of all the files in the "Documentation" area, of the MADS Download page.

Starting with the top file in the Documentation area, Click on the file, a new window will pop up with the document displayed.

In the upper left corner click on "file" scroll down to "Save As" and click.
It will open a Dialog box. Leave the file name as is, but at the top of the dialog box, in the "save in": area, you can navigate to your "Docs" folder you created earlier.

Repeat these steps for each of the documents present in the "Documents" area of the Smarty download page.

Next, you need to make a selection based on your truck, to either download the "REVO software or REVO-TNT software", or both. (I recommend getting both.)
Write Down the date associated with the file you are about to download.

Click on the File name of the software. You should now be looking at a “Disclaimer of Liability” page.

NOTE: If you are downloading the TNT file, there is a link for documentation for the TNT software on the Disclaimer of liability page. Click on it, and save it in the Docs folder as before.

Read the Disclaimer, and if you agree, click the “I agree with the terms” link.
A File Download box should pop up. Click on Save.

A "Save As" window will open. This gives you the opportunity to save it to a specific folder on your computer, or create a new folder to save it in. Again, leave the file name alone. In the “Save In:” area, navigate to the Smarty Folder.

Select “Create New Folder” name the folder with Either REVO_xx-xx-xx or REVO_TNT_xx-xx-xx Depending on which file you are downloading currently, and Where xx-xx-xx is the date of the file. At the time of this article, the current software is Nov 14, 2008. So your folder name would be: REVO_11-14-08 (Or REVO_TNT_11-14-08 if you are downloading that file.)

The next step is to download the files in the "Tools" section of the Smarty webpage.
There are 2 files you will need. One is a USB file, the other is a USB Driver.

The top 2 files in the “Tools” section are the actual Smarty downloader. Make a choice on which one you need based on your operating system. This is the program that is used to interface your computer to the Smarty and load the smarty with the software you select. (These files have the name SmartyUSB.exe and SmartyUSBL.exe)

The 3rd and 4th files are Zipped files that contain the USB drivers. Make a selection based on your operating system. These files (Once Unzipped) are used to interface your operating system (Windows XP, for example) to the Smarty Downloader. (These files have the name CDM 2.00.00.zip or D30104.zip )

Once you determine which Smarty USB downloader file is correct for your operating system, click on it. This will open a "Save As" window. Save it in the Smarty Folder.

Once you determine which USB driver file is correct for your operating system.
Click on it. This will open a "Save As" window. Save it to the Smarty Folder also.

The last thing you need to download is a copy of the 7Zip software. Clicking on the 7Zip Icon at the bottom of the Smarty Software Download page, will link you to the 7Zip webpage. Download the 7Zip program from that page by clicking on the "Download" link for the .exe file.

Once this file is on your computer, you will need to double click it to launch the 7zip installation program. This will install 7Zip to your computer.

Before you can use your USB driver file, (Either CDM 2.00.00.zip, or D30104.zip depending on your Operating System), you will need to unzip them. I used PKZip for this.

You also need to unzip the downloaded REVO file. Use 7Zip for this.

Note: An USB printer cable is used to connect the Smarty to your computer.

You should now have everything you need to set your computer up for use with your Smarty, and download a new software file to it.

The next steps will be to install the USB driver to your computer. Follow the instructions you saved to your "Docs" subfolder called "SmartyUSBdriverinstallationguide.pdf"
These instructions do leave allot to be desired, but most people muddle through it.
The Good news is once all this is done, future upgrades are a SNAP!

In closing,
I'm not the most knowledgeable computer guy around, but I have helped a few struggle through this.
I know I'm not the only one on this site who is capable of helping, so if you get stuck, ask for help here! It may even be wise to consider taking it into chat for some "Real Time" help.

Back