DPS Double D Weekend, July 9th and 10th at the Calgary Dragstrip, Calgary, Alberta

Hopefully we can make it! We noticed a cracked injector line & been waiting for one for 2weeks now!:bang Anybody got a 0.093 line VP to Common Rail Head kicking around? Hopefully it comes in next week before friday!

Get off night shift staurday morning, nine hour drive so I'll miss most of the dyno event. See you guys saturday night. Sunday should be a good day of racing. Weather lloks great

Were ready to go, new Transmission and turbos from BD power should be a good time. Does anyone know if there is camping at the track?

Malcolm

Called the track today, NO camping. They told me that we can camp a block away in the flying J parking lot, that they allow it. LOL. I think we'll just get a room

Bummer on the camping, but thanks for checking Shawn! Maybe I'll see if we can camp Sat night in DPS' parking lot?

ill be riding down with the bullydog guys, im sure ill meet a few of ya

Called the track today, NO camping. They told me that we can camp a block away in the flying J parking lot, that they allow it. LOL. I think we'll just get a room

Here is response from Andy the president of the CDRA

The racers who trailer in from out of town can park over night at Race City as long as they do not interfere with the Saturday daytime rental. Saturday evening is open so we can begin to ready the track for Sunday.

I know we plan on taking truck and trailer over to track after events at DPS

You guys have fun, wished I was there. You dmax guys be sure and post up your numbers if you make it into the quick 50 good luck to everyone and be safe.

devon won P/S, we took 2nd with a blown turbo and popped headgasket
malcom went like 10.1 or so, our best was 10.2 when the turbo let go, not sure what donavans best time was. Track was absolute garbage, we had traction isses after 1/8 mile

great weekend and you canadians are a "hoot" to hang out with ....eh

Last edited:
Had a great time with everyone. Thanks to the bully dog team for lending me NOS parts, Aaron from ct performance for bringing the nos with him lol, Torrey for having a trailer full of everything a guy needs. Lloyd customs helping keep ol blue together between rounds

I took second in superstreet, ran 10.4-10.6s all day, Richard (rps) with his shock the world dual p-pump 12v LOL got lucky all day and won superstreet, I. Was unable to make the last pass, they flagged me for dripping fluid. He ran 11.4s

NHRDA crew, awesome work guys. With all the crap you guys had to deal with regarding the track, like there computers and printers not working. You guys pulled off another fun event

Michael, looks like the bully dog team has taken my spot, there the ones who caught fire today so now you can run to them with the fire extinguisher

Sounds like you had fun, did I hear that Rony won brackets? I heard that Michael took out Kelsie, how did Michael and Jim Calhoun do in brackets?

LOL Shawn, the Bullydog guys didn't mention the fire when I talked to them and saw the carnage. Maybe we need to get a bronzed fire extinguisher trophy as the fireball prize for the season ;)

I red-lit 2nd round when I bumped in a little too deep. I was staging at 400 rpm higher than normal (more on that later), and managed to still bump in smoothly on the other passes, but the higher RPM finally bit me that round. Jim took 2nd.

I'm 99.9% sure the track has their full tree set to 0.400 full tree (rather than the standard 0.500). I changed my practice tree to the 0.400 full tree setting and the cadence matched their tree perfectly, and it was noticeably quicker than the 0.500 tree. Jim and I spoke to a track official as soon as we noticed it, and he checked in the tower and was assured that it was set to 0.500 (but I doubt they really checked). Since they run an electronics class at their normal races and those guys were running consistent 0.00x to 0.01x lights, I would guess that it has been set wrong for a while at that track and people have just adapted. For those of us not used to it, between the quicker cadence of the tree and the shorter time between the last amber and green, people who normally cut 0.0x lights (Kelsie, Jim, etc) were instead in the 0.2x range. I was somewhat fortunate in that I normally leave at a very low RPM, so I could raise my launch rpm and make up the reaction time (at least until I bumped in too deep and red-lit). The one thing the track had going well was a starter who was paying attention. They set the clocks to disable autostart, and he was waiting until people were staged and spooled before starting the tree.

When we got to the track Saturday evening we discovered that the starting line was in HORRIBLE shape, with last year's accumulated rubber stacked up and peeling. Several of us joined in with track volunteers and scraped the line thoroughly, and helped get their drag dragger working as well. Unfortunately the track has several large bumps downtrack, which was causing the suspensions to unload on all the faster trucks.

Thanks to NHRDA and DPS for an excellent event. Had alot of fun my first time racing. Happy with the trucks first run. Ready for nitrous and possibly a better driver! lol Looking forward to castrol.

Despite being sleep deprived from getting Torrey's truck up and going into the early hours of the morning and the marginal track, the weather was perfect, and it was a great time, lots of people to catch up with.

Shawn your truck ran much better after you tightened up the set screw on that HPOP pulley. :lolly: As always your a good time to be around. I think yours and rogers was the best head to head race of the day.

Devon was nice and consistent, and most important was the only PS that didn't break...

Dirtymax ended up being the only top diesel, but still did a couple runs for the crowd. As always Brad and his crew are top notch, lending a hand where ever they can.

Superstreet really did end up being luck of the draw, with RPS finding a bye round every round. I am still not sure what the track officials saw under Shawn's truck in the finals as it wouldn't drip a drop when it got back to the pits. :what:

Rony on the PTO limiter was consistent and on top of the tree.

Congrats to Torrey on the 9.88@140mph 3rd pass off the trailer. Should have been the second pass, too bad we couldn't figure out how to get those new boots on the night before :doh: . All on a new motor broken in with the first pass, it made that 6am first start all worth it. Someone needs to post the video of it spiting the charge pipe across the track. :hehe:

Turned out to be a pretty good event thanks to the hard work of Randy and his team...they always seem to put in 110% thanks guys.

Track could be in better shape, humps and bumps and even more so just after the traps made for an insteresting slow down lol.

Our convertor didn't seem to want to lock up all day till we went to load it then locked up solid lol....thanks for the help in the trailer to those that were there....

See ya all in Edmonton.....

Last edited:
Back