Drive pressure

Roy 31

Dont know JS!
where is the best place to measure drive pressure? and what difference am i looking for compared to boost pressure?

where is the best place to measure drive pressure? and what difference am i looking for compared to boost pressure?

at your exhaust manifold and you're looking for it to be as close to 1:1 as possible.

I would say for temperary use put it in place of the pyro probe

Something I came up with was useing a air psi guage out of a kenworth. Its one guage with 2 needles in it, one green & one red. Hook up the red to the drive psi & green to boost. At a glance you can keep an eye on both

Something I came up with was useing a air psi guage out of a kenworth. Its one guage with 2 needles in it, one green & one red. Hook up the red to the drive psi & green to boost. At a glance you can keep an eye on both

Thats some good thunkin' right there I tell you what...!

I would just drill and tap the front section of the manifold and measure it there, I want to do one actually but I need to get a pod ordered up and gauge.

Thats some good thunkin' right there I tell you what...!

I would just drill and tap the front section of the manifold and measure it there, I want to do one actually but I need to get a pod ordered up and a gauge.

That's a great idea. About how much for the gauge? What do they use it for in the kenworth? I'm assuming they don't monitor boost vs. drive pressure, LOL.

That's a great idea. About how much for the gauge? What do they use it for in the kenworth? I'm assuming they don't monitor boost vs. drive pressure, LOL.

It's the primary and secondary air pressure gauge for the air system. Good thinking on that find. never would have thought of that one.

Any part numbers flying around out there, the best finds would prob. be in the truck wrecking yards.
Good idea John.

Thanks for the info guys!
Whats going to make my drive pressure more/less then boost pressure?

for the MOST part, it's dictated by the turbine side of your turbo... compressor efficiency will definately make a big difference, but with a given combo, the turbine side will dictate...

it's interesting to watch drive pressure increase at a given RPM as you lay more heat (power) to a combo

I like the lazar kit's one hole two guage idea, but am unsure if they might be using a longer probe. Even without the T this pic should give you an idea what you're getting into. I just ran copper straight to a cheap pressure guage

TIPKit2-274x328.jpg