Drive Shaft Loop System??

farmboysdiesel

I'll Take Two!!
Who out there has the daddy system that's direct bolt on without having to deal with a bunch of aggrevating mess?? I know Darryl P. does but was just wondering if anybody had a better/different idea for a drag racing 'safety' setup. Thanks guys.

EEP used to have those... not sure if they still do.

brandon.

Darryl Poole makes them for EEP - been trying to get him on the phone for a couple of days. Got the cash in hand if anybody else know's of someone who makes a bolt on aggrevation free system.........

A while back Richard at GDP said he was planning on having a bolt on kit ready for this year. I don't know when they will be done tho...

Thanks guys - check went out today to Darryl Poole. He's having to get a Dana 70 rear end brought in to make my kit. It's a chunk of money but I guess it's better than scooping up your transfer case and driveline parts off the drag strip and God only knows what else.

Hellman I think makes them also.
I know mine will have to be custom...If I only had a pipe bender

farmboy, Darryl is a standup guy!!! hes got some sweet projects in his garage! great product as well!!!! I need to get a set actually!

Ian

$800 is more than i wanted to spend...im getting all the materials i need and i will build my own before june. i'm using 6" steel pipe cut in half and angle iron for most of it.

Beautiful thing about Darryl's setup is that it's made entirely out of aluminum. My set was actually the first set he's ever done with a Dana 70 rear. They should be shipping very soon and I'll have some pics after the powdercoating is done. :rockwoot:

Scott, if you can post any and ALL pics you have of the 271 swap and driveshaft loops id appreciate it. I'm gonna be doing mine very soon.

i will be using the stock slip yoke from the 271 tho and modifying my rear DS to fit, and using the stock front DS until next winter when i can have custom units built

Well I got my rear half of the loops fabbed yesterday.

1.25" square stock from the carrier bearing mount to angle that is drilled and bolted to the webbing of the rear. From the tubing I have 2 U-joint shields on the rear shaft made from 6" schedule 40 (.28" wall) steel pipe cut in half with tabs to bolt it together. A single loop made from formed flat bar is in the middle of the shaft if it happens to break in the middle. For the shaft between the T-case and carrier bearing, I just have flat bar bolted between the frame rails and a U-shaped flat bar loop that goes over the DS.

Its not nearly as perfect as the ones on the bigbaddodge but it was free, and so far i only have 6 hours into the fab. I am not shielding the u-joint at the t-case because all of the rules I have read state that u-joints tucked above the frame rails do not need shields.

How do you guys build a loop for the front shaft...I cant see any obvious way to mount a loop. The U-joint shield can be mounted to the diff housing, but I want at least one loop somewhere near the middle of the shaft.

Unfortunatly I didn't take to many of teh 271 swap as it was pretty straight forward here is it in

NP_271_T_Case.jpg

And this all I had on the front, as you said the uper one is between the frame rails.

Front_drive_shaft_1410.jpg

BBD

thanks scott, my front u-joint shield will be bolted to the webbing of the pumpkin with angle...but i want to add some kind of loop near the middle of the shaft.

im thinking of bringing a piece of angle up from the top of the u-joint shield with another simple rolled flat bar loop near the middle of the shaft to contain it if it snaps, i dont want it hitting any fuel lines or my tranny coolers.

unfortunately for now i am going to use a stock outpuke slip yoke on my 271 swap and just cut the rear DS and shorten it. the front shaft I have heard has enough room in the splines to stretch the extra 1" to the front output flange