Drivetrain clunk while going in reverse

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
Whenever I'm backing up if I lightly touch the brakes I can feel the passenger side rear squat down and you hear a slight clunk. If I hit the brakes hard the clunk gets louder. Almost to the point of a bang. I've gotten down there and wiggled everything and nothing appears loose or broken. I've got ladder bars on the truck but they are non adjustable and have bushings on them but they don't appear loose or worn out or anything. The u-joints have 136k-137k miles on them and I know they are getting weak. I'm also experiencing a shutter on take off that feels like u-joints. The shock on that side has no up and down play in it. When you bounce on the bumper you can't hear anything wrong or when you shake the truck around by hand you can't hear anything or see anything. Do yall have any ideas? Thanks.

I'm leaning toward a ujoint, you have drums on the back?

One piece driveshaft so no carrier bearing.

Timbeaux38, I've got discs in the rear.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Now to find the time to take the driveshaft to the shop and have them work on it cause I don't have the time/tools/place to do it at.

You are still on your stock U-joints??? HOLY CRAP dude that is impressive for the abuse that you have put them through!! LOL

Well I'm glad yall think it's u-joints. I was thinking broken spring hanger or something else. LOL Now here's the question, any of yall wanna help change u-joints out? LOL

And yes, it is impressive that I'm still on the stock u-joints considering the launches, four wheeling, racing, etc. In all honesty I've been wanting to replace them for the last 40k miles but I've been to lazy/busy/broke to do it. That and they weren't this bad.

Well if I was closer to you I'd help you switch them out, they ain't to bad really!

The first/last set of u-joints I changed (not my truck) had to be cut out with a grinder. Talked to that same guy the other day and he had to torch the u-joints out when he changed em this weekend.